Buck Knife or Gerber Knife?

I want to get a fixed blade camping knife under $100. Any suggestions?

Favorite Answer

They are both decent knives but i will tell you this: My father gave me a buck fixed blade hunter like 12 years ago and i broke the tip off. Guess what? I sent the thing back with a note about what had happened and they sent me a brand new knife. Since they did not make that knife anymore, they sent one which was very similar. Mind you i had no reciept, no box, Nothing but the knife itself and the sheath. I dont know. Mabe gerber does that too, but i respect Buck because of that.

Both Buck and Gerber make great knives. Personally I am a Buck man. I normally carry a folding knife as I am a Scoutmaster and Scouts does not allow fixed blades anymore.

For everyday use, I carry a small single blade Buck pocket knife. When we go on camp outs, I carry a larger one with three blades. When I buy a gift for a new Eagle scout - well for anyone actually - I buy them a Buck.

BUT - bottom line is that both are good, long lasting. Both hold an edge well. Both stand-up to abuse. I doubt you could wrong with either one.

I've had dozens of Bucks, mostly 110s and a few fixed blade models. Eventually they wear out because I use them hard, or break because I knowingly abused them. Sometimes the task at hand is worth more than the knife and I know where to buy more.

I had one gerber where the tang snapped for no apparent reason. And that's why I've only had one gerber.

gerber is the best knife i have ever owned. My one is getting kind of old still works perfect i have used it for the past 6 years. I will not buy any other brand. Used to be a buck man before i bought this one.

• Fitz

Fixed blade: Buck

Folding blade: Gerber

Personally though ... I recommend SOG Knives over Buck & Gerber. Here's a link:

http://sogknives.com/store/fixed.html

Neither, they both use crap 420hc steel. You want something stronger than that.

What are you looking to do with your knife?

Chopping/Hacking - Kabar BK2 $65,1095 Cro-Van steel w/ Grivory Handle

Slicing/Cutting - Mora Forest $30,12C27 Sandvik steel w/ a Scandi grind blade

• BOBBER

I would go with the buck. They make a great knife, With a good waranty to boot.

buck knife

Both are great knives. I'm more of a buck man myself. They have this lifetime warranty on their knives where if it breaks (provided you weren't knowingly damaging it) they'll replace it free of charge

i like buck- my dad has always owned one and they come with life time guarantee-