Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelAsia PacificOther - Asia Pacific · 1 decade ago

What is the cost of living in Fiji?

What kind of a yearly salary would I need to live comfortably in Fiji?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Bula! (hello). Living in Fiji can be just about what you make it. It can be cheap or expensive depending on the lifestyle you chose to follow. If you want the city life but on a smaller scale, then Suva, the capital, is for you.

When I was reseaching an island to move to, Fiji kept popping up in the top five for cost of living, quality of life and friendliness of the people. But living in L.A. at the time, I knew I wanted a slower pace. To be on island time.

Suva is good though as a change from big city life to island size city life and from there you can find smaller quieter places not on the tourists tracks.

The capital offers night clubs, apartments and houses from $250 to "luxury" flats and homes ranging around $3500. Sometimes, if you let the owner know you plan to live at the residence for a long time, you can work a deal. Other then that, they see your face and automatically think you have money.

There are a couple of big supermarkets that feature imported foods and products. The price is high. Almost $4 for a head of lettuce or cabbage from New Zealand or Australia.

Taveuni, Fiji's garden island

Jacqueline D. Brown is a graduate of the

University of Iowa. Formerly from Gary, Ind.

she now makes her home in Los Angeles.

Ms. Brown was working for the Dept. of

Children Services when she got the island bug

and decided to find an island home. She has

also lived in Seoul, S. Korea where she taught

ESL and edited a writing book for ESL

students. Ms. Brown is single with no children.

She is currently working on a nonfiction book

of memoirs of her stay in Fiji.

southernlatitude@hotmail.com

You also have the traffic, noise and crowds in Suva. On the positive side, there are the government offices and the American Embassy and you get to mingle with mostly professional expats at the happy hour bars. Just stand on Victoria Parade, the main thoroughfare, and you're bound to see if not a familiar face, a foreign one.

On the other side of Viti Levu, the main island and biggest of the group, is Nadi (Nan di), the jet city, called this, I imagine because it's where the airport is. There are night clubs, a good supermarket and a small community of expats. Suva on a smaller scale.

Lautoka, the sugar town, is north of Nadi, and called the sugar town because of the large amount of sugar cane farms and the ever present sugar train shugging through. It's also a seaport town and some cruises leave from here.

Lautoka is quieter and slower than Nadi. A quaint place where you can find lace mosquitoe nets and unique pots and early century kitchen do dads that can only be found here in second hand shops. Rents are cheaper. Not many expats.

Coming back down southeast of Nadi but still on the west side of the island is Sigatoka (Sing ga toka), a small one road town. It was a one bridge town before hurricaine Sina (1992) destroyed half of it. It was one lane with a stop light on each end. Traffic going to Nadi had to wait until traffic going

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

This may be a couple years out of date, but evidently you can take care of your housing costs quite cheaply. Food costs, due to import distances and difficulties, are generally high. It also discusses getting a job in Fiji, evidently somewhat difficult. The author compares it to America 30 or 40 years ago.

The following adds a little bit more information, and it is dated January 2006:

http://www.escapeartist.com/efam/77/Living_In_Fiji...

and here is a cost of living calculator. Just type in an amount in your local currency and find out how far it will go in almost any country including Fiji:

http://www.salaryexpert.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=C...

• ?
    Lv 4
    5 years ago

A bit less than Bora Bora, I think.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.