Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsFootball (Soccer)FIFA World Cup (TM) · 10 years ago

Are you gonna have you kids play soccer?

I'm gonna have my kids play sports. My daughter is gonna be a cheerleader and my son will be a multi sport athlete. I don't know if my son will play soccer. I have to agree with my boy, the best sports talk show host, Jim Rome. He said he'd rather have his son be a figure skater or do gymnastics then play soccer. He said soccer isn't American and I agree with him. Why don't people in Europe play baseball? They don't play since its not a European sport. Soccer isn't an American sport so that's why we don't care about it.

@highburied-I'm doing the same thing. Adopt a kid from the Dmminican Republic and have him play baseball. Adopt a kid from the hood and have him play basketball. A kid from Kenya and have him be a marathon runner. You can make mad good money if it works out

@A Man of Ledgens-He also hates women's basketball and pro bowilng. Not just soccer.

@Man of legends-I hate women's basketball. I find it boring.

Favorite Answer

Your "boy Jim Rome"? Do you just happen to call your uncle, your "boy" also? Because that says a lot (not sure to find it funny).

And yes, if they want to pontentially be in a sport where they can become a multi-millionaire and have global fame compared to other the things that don't compare.

I actually think it's pretty even. I'm a Latino and I was raised with soccer here in the U.S. I actually think I learned how to kick a soccer ball before I could walk. Depending on where you are from, the passion for soccer is different. I am from South America, so I live, breathe, and sweat soccer as opposed to other Latinos from the Carribean. North Americans have a better chance of getting professional training, but I don't think the passion is there quite yet. Hopefully soon though.

I'm gonna have a 5-9, 5-10 son and he will play soccer and a 5-2 midget girl who does gymnastics and soccer, and they're gonna beat the money out of your spoiled brats!!! :P

• ?

I'm not going to make my kids play anything. When they're young, I'll put them into whatever sports they ask to be in, and some that they don't. If they find one that they like, they can choose to play it on their own. I want them to play A sport, but I don't want to choose the sport.

I never want my daughter to be a cheerleader, ever. If that's what she decides someday, then that's fine. But, I'm not going to stick my 6 year old daughter into a skirt and spandex to parade around like a Barbie Doll. I want my daughter to learn good values and life lessons, not to depend on her looks or her so called "cheer friends" to have her back. Where I come from, being a cheerleader is a shame and the only people who do it are the ones who have a lot of money and think they're better than everyone else, and they're clearly not. No one likes the cheerleaders here, and I woudn't want to subject my daughter to that. And the simple fact that how many cheerleaders still have their virginity? 2% of them? I don't care what my daughter decides when she's older, but I hope that I can teach her that she doesn't want anything to do with that when she's older.

I want my kids to play sports because they like them, not because I'm forcing them to. I'm not going to be one of those parents who pushes and pushes my kids in athletics to the point where they're doing steroids. I think that is terrible and that is not a good parent at all. I'll let my kids explore and experiment with different sports, and they can stick to one or two that they like. That's how I see it. And their grades will come first. I'm not going to give my kids 3 hours of homework from AP classes and then watch them practice for 2 hours and have no life. I want my kids to enjoy being a kid, because it's fun while it lasts. My kids can play what they want, but only if I think they can handle it. Personally, I can see Olivia playing Volleyball or Tennis and I could see my son playing Baseball or Soccer. It will all depend on what they want to do and I will be proud of them no matter what.

• Kyle

if my child wants to play soccer and enjoys it i'm not going to force them to do something stupid(in my opinion) like figure skating or gymnastics just because soccer isn't "american". i'm not a die hard soccer fan but i like watching the world cup and seeing an occasional european soccer game on tv if it's on. i already know that i'll let my child or children try any sport they want and not tell them they can't because it's not "american". just because a sport isn't popular in the united states doesn't mean it's not "american". also Jim Rome half the time has no clue what he's talking about

Soccer is more then a european sport, it's one of the worlds true global pass times, from the beaches of barzil to some slum in india.

but being that your in north America it is probably best just stick to American sports other wise your kid will not have as many friends to play with!

Jim Rome no mames no wonder you think he is the best he has no brain just like you that is why he hates football it takes a brain to understand football i won't answer your questions anymore since you just like Jim Rome have very minimal intelligence and i would feel bad insulting a person like that

man this guy is really retarded how can you hate women's basketball and pro bowling don't get me started on that how can you agree with someone like that

I play soccer cause i was born poor. But since i make decent money now, my kids would be too rich for soccer therefore they will play baseball.

• Bob T

Soccer is immensely important and popular in the USA and is an excellent sport for kids to play recreationally. My two kids played in rec leagues and for our school. They loved the experience and love the game. It is an excellent fitness pursuit for kids as well.

Cheerleading is a sport what a joke! Futbol IS American the Ancient Aztecs played it. And a HUGE part of the US was OWNED by Mexico but the US stole it. Ahh Brittney I don't think any kid from DR would go and live with you with that scary clown face of yours.