promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Brian H asked in SportsBaseball · 10 years ago

Proposed Major League Baseball teams?

I'm trying to find information on MLB teams that have been proposed but never actually formed. Can you help me out?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

I can think of three subcategories:

1. Relocations that never happened -- there's a few, including the Giants and White Sox (separately) to Tampa, the Padres to Washington, the Giants (earlier) to Toronto, the A's to Denver, others.

2. Competing leagues that never took the field -- the Continental League in 1959, The Baseball League in 1989. (TBL never got much past having a main office. The CL did have team owners lined up, don't know if definite cities and/or team names had been selected. Some of them ended up buying in to MLB in the 1961-62 expansions, which is what MLB did to kill off the CL threat.)

3. Expansion candidates which did not win the bidding rounds. There were at least six candidate cities in the 1993 selection process, one of which was Buffalo. (Obviously, Denver and Miami won.)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Foxx
    Lv 6
    10 years ago

Here are some serious locations mentioned in the past for a possible new team or relocation-Nashville, Las Vegas, Portland, Salt Lake City, Louisville, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, Charlotte, and likely others. Relocations that almost happened but didn't-St. Louis Browns to Los Angeles in early 40's but war prevented it due to train schedules for travel being curtailed. After the war, in 50's Bill Veeck, then owner of the Brown's tried moving them again, but was denied. San Diego and San Francisco both attempted to relocate to Washington DC in 70's.

• Tonman
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

The mayor of Las Vegas wants a mlb team in his city. Personally, I dont think baseball fits in that city

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

New Orleans Trumpeteers (1960's)

Charlotte Heat (2000)

Portland (80's)

Winnipeg Vikings (2000)

Quebec City Frogs (2000)

Buffalo Hot Wings (90's)

San Antonio (90's)

Denver Avalanche (70's)

Green Bay Slackers (80's)

Washington Crackheads (80's)

Edmonton Freeze (1930's)

Source(s): lololololol.o
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.