What is the definition of a GHz day?

I've been running prime 95 on a 400 MHz CPU for a few weeks and my stats say I've completed .7327 GHz days. Shouldn't it only take 2 and a half days to get a Ghz day on this CPU? I don't understand exactly how they measure it.

Favorite Answer

It depends on the CPU you're using, and the CPU they used to measure the speeds. Other things besides the clock speed matter for speeds. Such as the size of cache. memory bandwidth, time it takes for an instruction to calculate, instruction set.

A 1Ghz processor made these days is significantly faster than the 1Ghz P3 that first came out, because processor makers are starting to reach thermal limits. They can't make the clock speed (GHz) much faster without making the processors generate an insane amount of heat, so instead they figure out how to do more with the current clockcycles they have now.

I have a quad core @ 2600 mhz, chances are a single core would be at least 10x faster than that computer simply because of other enhancements that have been done besides improving the clock speed.

• Bert H

Camzakca... ?

I have no idea what prime 95 on a 400 MHz is or does.

All I know is that I'm a real dummy and that a Hertz is 'cycle per second', so 1 Hertz is 1 cycle per second. Your household current runs at 60 cycles per second which is twice as fast as our (human) eye perception can see. Enough of that.

A Gigahertz is one b(B)illion cycles per second, your 400 MHz (Megahertz) is 400 m(M)illion cycles per second, dead slow for today's CPUs.

So, I don't understand WHAT you are asking about.

If I had an antique CPU running at 400 MHz, I would walk (RUN) to the store and get something a wee bit faster, like maybe at least a 2 GHz CPU (2 BILLION cycles per second).

Megahertz CPUs are gone forever, don't ya know?

;-)

Source(s): just a dumb techie