"Even non-Japanese born in Japan are not given citizenship" Is this true?

I'm a first generation american and this quote made me wonder whether I'm a true american or not.

Isn't japanese and american a nationality? What makes the US and japan so different?

Favorite Answer

You have to be Japanese or one of your parents need to be Japanese to receive citizenship in Japan. Like, if you were a citizen in Japan, your demonym would be Japanese, so people would get all confused because Japanese is an ethnicity too... you know what I meant? The country isn't as multi-cultural as the USA.

Example:

Race: European

Ethnicity: British

Nationality: Japanese

... and people usually call themselves by their nationality (e.g. I'm Australian).

You CAN become a permanent resident of Japan though by marrying someone who's Japanese (who has a residency in Japan) or by spending a certain amount of money in the local economy (not sure how much, and not sure if it's absolutely correct).

Japan is an island so it was better able to control immigration. The US is a free for all where even suggesting that we shouldn't absorb anyone that wants to come in is anathema. Opposite ends of the enforcement spectrum but both destructive policies that have eviscerated both nations' economies.

• Lisa A

The difference is that the US and Japan are two completely separate sovereign nations, each with their own laws.

The US is the only country on earth where you can be an anchor baby. Your parents knew what they were doing.

Japanese are ethnically and culturally are in their true homeland mother land but the white genocides and foreign americans are not in their motherland because they are all invaders, thieves. The only true Americans should be the NATIVES of continent of america

Japanese people have a kind of racist mentality. They consider race and nationality to be the same thing.