Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesPhilosophy · 9 years ago

Philosophically speaking; How can I come to accept Atheism?

I mean, Im atheist whether I want to be or not, its just really hard for me to accept it. I want to be part of a religion and have faith, but I cant and its making me depressed.

Favorite Answer

Agnostic is the way to go baby!

Wow, "Funkbot" really??

Listen, "Denver.." You want to believe there is a God. The truth is, that you will NEVER come to a conclusion that there is a God through logic, that is where "Funkbot" is incorrect. I've tried logical research and Faithful research. You have to play both sides of the chess board. Faith AND Logic. But remember this... Religion is not based on logic, its based on Faith and nothing more than that. if you want to dwell in the Faith half of research, you have to do things like meditate, and Lucid Dream and dwell inside of the spiritual realm to have experiences that aren't "Logical". I've been there, done that. Trust me. If you do Logical Research online and external sources, you will find shocking information. If you do Spiritual Research you will have a lot of fun doing things that aren't "Logical" Then you you will ultimately conclude what I have concluded... Maybe..

Me myself, I believe there is an Almighty being, but I don't know His real name, and I don't know where he came from, so there for I call myself "Agnostic" but at the same time, I believe that Jesus is a real person as well, so I am more Christian biased. Why? Because Jesus' name is the only name in religion that is known all over the world, Jesus stayed approximately in one area of the Earth, yet his name is all over the world. People may bad mouth Jesus in other religions or say that he is not the "Messiah" or whatever, guess what? They still know who he is.

And everybody knows the name "Buddah" too, but guess what? Buddah is a title bestow upon people who have reached, "enlightenment." I guarantee they have never heard of the name Siddhartha Guatama, the original Buddah. Buddah is not a god, Buddhism was never originally a religion, and still is not, its a practice, like "Taoism" or "Qi' Gong". Siddartha told his followers not to look at him as a god. But they did anyway, he became a public figure to many asians.

Source(s): I've done all of this, and researched for two straight years, and have stood where you are. I could NOT accept Atheism. And shut up "Funkbot", with your logical bullsnaps.

I started "transitioning" from a Catholic to an Atheist my senior year of Catholic high school. I just remember sitting there, thinking about how everything this guy was saying in my theology class was just so not true nor for me. I remember pointing out how unscientific some of the stories were, and he would say, maybe they were not real; however, you are suppose to interpret them and get the morals behind them. I can say that without having religious faith, I can get the morals behind the stories in the Bible, Quran, and any other religious material without having to gung-ho on the whole religion itself. I don't have to trick myself into believing in what people say are "facts." When my mind started opening up the idea, and I finally considered that I was an Atheist, I am not going to lie, I felt like there was a hole in my psyche. Religion is a safety net to reality. It keeps you comforted from the truth that by a huge explosion, evolution, and lots of sheer luck brought us into existence. This also made me a little sad. It's a lot for someone to take in. However, over the years this void slowly went away. I take comfort in the fact that what I have here is gift. Life is a gift. No matter what cards are dealt to you, why waste the only existence you have? Feeling. Without life you would not have any form of feeling: from love to pain. I relish the opportunity to feel. I know this is stupid, but to get across my point to friends who question me, think back before you were born. What does your mind imagine? All I think about is dark nothingness, and that's what you will meet when you die, at least in my opinion. So, why not endure a life of pain if you are going to just return back to that? However, luckily, through chance, life is not all pain, it's a lot of happiness, from friends to family to just the beautiful nature to our cities. These things are what filled that void in me. The love of family, the bond of friendship, and community with others in the human race is what thrives my existence-- those things and of course my animals. When it comes to still wanting to accept a faith, just draw intelligence from other religions morals. Reading other religious texts makes you a well-rounded individual. Also, to those who say Buddhism is a religion; it's not. It's a philosophy that people of any religion can follow. What I have learned from it is what comes around goes around. The first law of thermodynamics: all energy in the universe is always constant. It's been so since the Big Bang. I think, the universe has a way of evening things out, and I think that is what Buddhism reinforces; however, I digress. Don't be scared of realization, knowledge gets you far in this world.

spirituality is the key. Organised religion has so many issues it would be impossible to just accept them all (in faith). I am a Catholic, (yes keep it clean folks) yet I condemn and are appalled at the wealth they have acquired over the years. That's organised for you, there are a whole load of things I could mention but....Any way, You don`t believe in god, What do you believe in? ( I`m not trying to draw any one into a debate about the existence of god but) I do think our convictions help us to accept what we believe in and why. Some times it is difficult to not think of the negative stuff, negative is good too of course. We all ask questions of our selves on our life long journey and the answer comes from our own truth. It may be that you will find a religion eventually or sooner even. They key is the inner self and what you believe in your heart. This does not need you to justify it to any one else accept yourself. I love the Gnostic approach personally but I do take what I need from various creeds if it helps me on my journey. Once you have defined what you do believe in, there will be no need to confirm what you don`t believe in. Often when we look at our disbelief it keeps us from developing into what ever we are meant to be. Defining ones self in the negative (don`t believe ) then we can become stuck and depressed. This sometimes, is our own dark night of the soul.

Source(s): Your own understanding of all that is and will be you.

Bravo - good for you to have the courage, well, of your convictions. That's what that means. You admit how you feel even though it's painful or frightening. Shows real character.

I saw another response briefly that said agnostic is the way to go. I agree with that. We don't know, can't know, so - why do we feel SUCH intense pressure to declare that we DO know?? We don't. It could all be true, "it" being any one of the six thousand religions in the world, or none of it could be true, or we might have part of the picture but be missing the point - who knows?

We have our hands full just trying to manage what we DO know, let alone trying to speculate about what we don't know, in my opinion.

I'm not an Atheist or an Agnostic but I at least respect Atheists for standing behind what they believe in and taking a stance, as for why you can't come to accept it, if you are as you say you are make a commitment.

• Julia

i totally know what you mean! i often think i wish i was dumb and stupid enough to be brain washed by a religion so i had faith and belief in something... someone to blame!

i am not atheist as i think religion has no proof, no evidence, but there is always a hope that it might! there is no proof that god exists, but neither is there any proof that he doesn't!

i think of myself as a spiritual person... i am not religious, but religion is not the same as spiritual. you can develop your spiritual side and find some "acceptance" and comfort in that.

Because Atheism does not believe in Deity's, a Deity is a separate being to ourselves, there are several religions that do not accept deity's most notably Buddhists and Quakers

• sa

Whether you accept atheism or religion is not important,the most important thing is how best you are leading your life.

Well, there are some religions that have no God, for example Buddhism (especially Zen Buddhism) where everything is centred around man... Buddha himself was "only" a man, not a god

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zen

sweety you never tried to even share your feelings with me.

i told you i can and will answer you. but you never heared. :) trust someone for once. your world might change

PIECES!!!!