What whould happen if you put the wrong size battery in a car?

Our battery died and needed to be recharged and we wanted to take the car to the parts store to have the alterntor tested. We tried hooking my friends battery into our car, which fit in the holder, but is a higher amperage or whatever it's called. It made the horn sound on my car and it would not turn on. We got our battery charged and hooked it up. It started fine and stayed on, but it would not shift into drive, we had to use the little button, put it into drive then start the car. We then found out the brake lights were out. We replaced the fuse and it blew again. The radio fuse blew also but after being replaced never blew again. My question is...could that battery have caused some type of short? or is it just some other issue going on? Please Help.

I have a 2002 Ford Focus Ztec 2.0 DOHC

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Dan B
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

As far as your car is concerned, a 12 volt car battery is a 12 volt car battery. It doesn't matter if you put in a battery that has 500 cranking amps (if that is the minimum required) or 1,000,000 cranking amps. You won't damage your car. Did you connect your friend's battery backwards? Some batteries have the + terminal on the opposite side that the original battery. I would think you have other issues with the car if the battery wasn't connected incorrectly. Make sure the battery terminals are on securely. That may have been the reason your car would not start.

The brake light fuse is not a battery related problem but a dead short in the brake light wiring or lamp socket.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

Ive never heard of something like that happening from a battery being the wrong size. But as for the shifting and transmission problems at first that is normal because any time you unplug a battery on a car usualy newer than 1996 it will cause the computer to have to go through a re-learn procedure in order to relearn how to correctly run the engine and shift and drive. This actraly takes a few days of normaly driving the vehicle but it only takes a few min for it to run correctly and be driveable usualy. But you may have had a bad ground or something wasnt quiet put on right when you put the battery in at first. If it continue to happen have it checked out.

• 10 years ago

If it was like 10-20 amps higher than your battery then probably not. If it was like 50 amps or more than your regular car battery then yes it most likely did blow all of those fuses and maybe even some relays which should be checked. Your fuses are rated in amperage so if too many amps are running through it then it will blow.

Source(s): Home mech
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

i dont have self belief this is going to impression something. they flow by technique of the length of the battery tray so it would want to be secured, battery clamps in wonderful condition properly (on the total perfect area), and chilly cranking amps(sufficient means to run the motor vehicle).

• John2 years agoReport

Is English your second language. Just what the heck are you saying

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • cutlip
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Size Battery For My Car

• 10 years ago

it was worth a try lol but most likly it blew a couple fuses but shouldnt be long term damage

• 10 years ago

it won,t hurt nothing as long as it fits in the battery case and the cables will hook up.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.