What whould happen if you put the wrong size battery in a car?

Our battery died and needed to be recharged and we wanted to take the car to the parts store to have the alterntor tested. We tried hooking my friends battery into our car, which fit in the holder, but is a higher amperage or whatever it's called. It made the horn sound on my car and it would not turn on. We... show more Our battery died and needed to be recharged and we wanted to take the car to the parts store to have the alterntor tested. We tried hooking my friends battery into our car, which fit in the holder, but is a higher amperage or whatever it's called. It made the horn sound on my car and it would not turn on. We got our battery charged and hooked it up. It started fine and stayed on, but it would not shift into drive, we had to use the little button, put it into drive then start the car. We then found out the brake lights were out. We replaced the fuse and it blew again. The radio fuse blew also but after being replaced never blew again. My question is...could that battery have caused some type of short? or is it just some other issue going on? Please Help.

I have a 2002 Ford Focus Ztec 2.0 DOHC