Is it illegal to parody a song with the original music?

If I resing a song and add the instrumental version of the song to my voice, am I still breaking copyright?

Like if I remade "Telephone" by Lady Gaga, used my voice and her original music, did I break copyright?

I know people do it, I'm wondering if a company like youtube or machinima would REMOVE it because of that.

Shoot I didn't specify.

By "remake" I mean yes change the words.

Favorite Answer

If you're singing the same words as she does, it's not really a parody, is it? As far as parodies go, Weird Al, among many other artists, do parodies all the time and he's not in jail.

Under the "fair use" provision of U.S. copyright law, affirmed by the United States Supreme Court, one does not need permission to record a parody. This was proven in Campbell v. Acuff-Rose Music, Inc.

Edit: Youtube might remove it, but it's only by the request of whatever group owns the song. Machinima won't, I've seen a lot of videos there with songs and never have seen one removed.

yes it's illegal

when the artists o it, they get permission and pay royalties of the sales

Crappiest judge ever... doesn't even know her copyright law.

• Claire

yes, that's illegal.... but people do it all the time.