"Putting a child up for adoption"

Put up where?

Update:

Ah, thanks. I thought it had something to do with the Orphan Trains

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well people and children have been "put up" for sale and slavery for quite awhile in this country. Slaves were 'put up' on platforms to be viewed by white people who had the cash to purchase human beings. Foster care kids have had their 'pictures' "put up" in a Picture Gallery within shopping malls to entice the general public to become a foster parent or to adopt. And then there were your Orphan Train children who were "put up" on platforms along the train route. Many of these children not even true orphans.

""Not surprisingly, the experiences of orphan train riders varied widely. Less than half of the children were truly ORPHANS; many were taken from at least one parent, if not two. Some encountered horrific conditions approaching child slavery, while others were treated like family. At least one was convicted of murder, while two others were elected as state governors. Meanwhile, some critics complained that New York was using the program to dump its juvenile delinquents onto other states, and some Catholic charities suspected that the program was designed to place Catholic children into Protestant homes for conversion. Brace vigorously contested all these claims, and conducted several internal investigations. Still, it gradually became clear that, as the frontier closed, rural life declined, and social welfare programs were increasingly formalized and governmentalized, the Brace's program was doomed. The last "orphan train" arrived in Texas in 1929.""

http://www.faqs.org/childhood/Bo-Ch/Brace-Charles-...

""The program was not without criticism. In its early days some abolitionists viewed it as a form of slavery, while some pro-slavery advocates saw it as part of the abolitionist movement, since the labor provided by the children helped to make slaves unnecessary.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphan_Train

Source(s): Reading history of human beings being "put up" for other people's convenience, desires, perverse reasons and viewing pleasures.
  • 9 years ago

I'm pretty sure that phrase originated from the "orphan trains" that would go from town to town and the children would be "put up" on the platform at the train station for people to consider adopting them. This happened in the late 1800's-early/mid 1900's in the US.

• 9 years ago

I read the entirety of those "Orphan Train" books on children who were "put up for adoption." In the Eastern part of the United States many children were SOLD by their families to a "Company" to be shipped way out West to work on farms. When they arrived in these localities they were taken to a church on Sunday and sole to the highest bidder. Some were 'bought' by good people and others were treated very harshly and shabby. The parents sold the kids because they needed the money and the people in the west needed the cheap child labor. This would have been in the early 1900's.

It was deplorable all the way around!!

Source(s): Orphan Train books
  • gash
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

i've got time-honored many women folk who've placed little ones or little ones for adoption by way of fact they wanted a much better existence for his or her little ones and wanted to guard their newborn from family members/important different and young little ones/or community violence. i do no longer understand why absolutely everyone could call you a undesirable man or woman for doing that. besides the undeniable fact that enable me alert you that it is not common giving up the incredible to be your newborn's ascertain. Adoption isn't co-parenting. you're giving up your rights as a ascertain and as a mom on your little ones continuously. while you're coming from a abusive project then you quite could elect to artwork with an enterprise and %. adoptive mothers and fathers who're open to a semi-open adoption the place you're able to have some secure touch jointly with your newborn and their family members... and perchance while you're fortunate to come across a loving, open family members, - they could organize conferences/visits each twelve months to six months with the adoptive family members and your beginning little ones on the adoption enterprise. Adoption would be stressful on your heart yet for some that's the only thank you to guard their little ones and supply them a solid existence with opportunities.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • kitta
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

Google the "orphan trains" history and you might find your answer there. I heard a talk on that history and was told that the children were placed up on the train platforms where the local townsfolk could view them and choose.

So, the children were "put up" on the platforms...and they were 'for adoption."

This is what I was told was the origin of the term. don't know if it is true.

• 9 years ago

[1] Adoption has a long history in the Western world, closely tied with the legacy of the Roman Empire and the Catholic Church.

(Not sure on the dates.)

As for "putting up", I believe they mean registering the child for adoption, and putting them in an adoption center/room in a hospital or orphanage.

Source(s): If you want to know more I guess you can look at this: [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adoption#How_adoption...
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Put up for sale obviously.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.