Craig asked in SportsSwimming & Diving · 9 years ago

is this a good swimming workout to gain muscle and get in shape?

so i want to join marine core then try to join marine recon i have 2 years to train my hardest and i love to swim rather than lift weights and swimming gets you in good shape i do have a workout.

100 meters x 10 times

50 meters x 10 times

10 subsurface training ( to increase my lung capacity

25 meters x 10 times

this is all done at full speed btw i can swim 25 meters underwater

this is my workout i then at the end tred water just for 5 to 10 minutes just to learn to tred it is this a good workout to gain muscle and also will get me in shape i also run but if i have to lift weights i can.

Best Answer

Depends on the muscle you want to build. Swimming wont make you a big bulky muscle dude and if your a competitve swimmer, you should want to be big and bulky. Swimming laps develops great enduance and gets you in good shape. You do gain muscle but it's lean muscle and lean muscle is what defines the "swimmers body".

If you are skinny and want to build muscle by swimming, I say eat more, put some meat on your bones and if you swim alot ( like more than 10 hours a week), the swimming alone could tone your body up.

Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong but it's what I think.

I would recommend doing some iron lungs, which are essentially just doing at least 2 laps underwater without coming up for air. If you aren't able to swim for a month or so then it shouldn't completely destroy everything you worked for or anything, but i suggest that if you can even go and swim once or twice during those months, do so. I'm on the high school swim team and some of our set lists are like these: (just for reference- a 25 is one length of the pool, a 50 is two lengths, 75 is three 100 is 4 etc.) 400 warm up freestyle 20- 50s, thirty seconds for each 50 5- 350s, one 100 freestyle kick, one 100 freestyle, one 150 backstroke 4- 100s build up which is getting faster each length 400 warm down I hope this helps!

This would be good maybe once in a while, but you'd really need to vary with a lot of different activities. I'm a swimming coach and could provide you with a few workouts if you want to email me at simply_crazy_sarah@yahoo.ca

swimming is not very good if you want to gain muscle, but it's n1 sport to get in shape. You should try combining so called "pyramid" into your workout (25m sprint, 50 easy, 75 sprint, etc. and then back). If I manage to find my old work out I'll edit my post

Source(s): retired professional swimmer

yerrr......maybe add some underwater lengths in. your going be tired after.maybe you could cycle to the pool???

Source(s): i swim 3 times a week