What languages do you speak in addition to English?

Rosebud - - - - I agree Pig Latin is an important one. :) :)

Favorite Answer

I spent over 20 years in the U.S. Navy and was stationed in 3 countries, visited over 30 (some more than once). Besides my parents'/grandparent's native tongue, Finn, and playing with Puerto Ricans growing up, I learned enough of the following languages to get something to eat, shop, get directions, and carry on a limited conversation: French (however when I was in France they pretended not to understand me yet in Tunisia and Mauritius I had no problem being understood. Snotty French!), Arabic, Swahili, Japanese (fairly fluent..spent 3 1/2 years working with Japanese), Thai, Italian (fairly fluent spent 3 years in Sardinia living in town among locals), and Vietnamese(spent 1966 & 1967 in Viet Nam in contact with the locals...I was fairly fluent speaking, but got laughed at when I tried to read it). Since retiring from the Navy, my previous position of 15 years working with foreign navies gave me the chance to learn Cantonese (working with the Taiwan Navy for 1 1/2 years), Hindi (working with the Indian Navy for almost a year), Turkish (working with the Turkish navy off and on those 15 years...I still keep in touch via Facebook with a Turkish supply officer I became friends with). I also worked with the Spanish, Moroccan, Egyptian, Malaysian, Australian, Chilean, and Portuguese navies but because my contact with some of them was limited and their English was very good, I didn't get the chance to learn their languages.

My grandmother taught me Finn and even though I don't remember a lot of it, I found that my pronunciation is still accurate. Besides playing with Puerto Ricans, I took 4 years of Spanish in high school and 2 years in college.

At the moment, I have moved to Hungary and have to do a crash course on Hungarian.

It is one of the most difficult of the European languages having somewhere around 43 to 44 letter, most people don't use all 44 letters as it is an old language and it is always changing like any other language.

It is most closely related to the Finnish language but they would not recognize or be able to understand each other.

I know many words in Hungarian but the trick is to be able to make sentences out of the many letters and sufixes that are in Hungarian. Every word has 6 different endings and they are always changing in funtion depending on many grammer factors. It is really almost impossible for a foriegner to learn Hungarian well enough to be fluent and not make major mistakes.

HELP!!

Thank goodness my husband is a native speaker or we would be sunk.

• DeeJay

English and a tiny bit of Greek. I went to Greek school. If there is no longer someone to speak it with - it's easy to forget. I have always remembered how to say cake - how are you - thank you etc. The easy ones.

Does knowing the Danish - Greek - Italian - Spanish and Slavic slang/bad words count?

I grew up in a very diverse mining community. Yeah! All the kid's knew the bad words.lol

DeeJay. I was a kid too.

• ?

I can manage:

German - As Clyde, nur ganz venig [only very little]

Gobbledeegook: Excellently, first class, utterly confusing to anyone other than another devotee of this majestic communicational verbiage.

Nottinghamian: Slang, guttural, and hard on the ears for anyone not from the area. I published some of this language on the spoof, at the source link if your interested at all.

I speak enough Spanish to get misinterpreted.

I took 2 yrs. of it in high school. When I lived in San Diego the little bit I knew came in handy when I visited Tijuana to see my dentist.

I memorized a long joke f/ English to Spanish. I was so proud of my self as I began to tell the Mexicans until they all laughed in the wrong places.

I can still say or pronounce polish and latin words but don't know what they mean, does that count? I had two years of French in high school, oh so long ago, but it was not conversational French. And I taught ESL for a while.

High school French (four years) and Pig Latin.

I can speak Dutch, as I lived in Holland for two years. I was at Soesterberg AFB in Zeist and living in an apartment which was rented from a Dutch couple. They were trying to learn English and I was trying to learn Dutch, so it worked out well.

Portuguese, French, Spanish.

I remember a little Latin from HS. My grandfather taught us kids a few German words that my Mother did not approve of.