? asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

According to Census stats, Texas is now 40% Hispanic, up from 35% in 2005. Should I brush up on my Spanish?

Are there really so many hispanics in Texas, and what is the implication of republicans getting elected in Mc Allen, Brownsville, Laredo, Corpus, El Paso? Also, I heard Dallas and Houston are firmly democratic now. Did I hear wrong?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

I wouldn't worry about a Republican being elected in Laredo or those other places. The election is over once the Demos have their primary. On the other hand, Texas is a really red state so there are a bunch of republicans somewhere.... just not in South Texas. About the Language, I have notice that lower end jobs have more Spanish speakers than before. When we moved to Laredo 27 years ago all the waitresses spoke English enough for our orders. Now, we keep getting them with no English attached, they are legals from Mexico that have moved here to avoid the violence going on right now. Hard working and pleasant, but "no speakin the English".

Source(s): 27 years in Laredo from Indiana
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Yes, the federal government has labeled someone that comes from Mexico, Central America, Puerto Rico and DR and Cuba, South America, and Spain as Hispanic. This is all on account that we talk Spanish. I honestly discover it humorous that considering Spaniards who're white Europeans and are available from a primary-international nation are eligible for scholarships, affirmative motion on account that they fall beneath the "minority" class. It's hilarious! Especially realizing the historical past of Spain conquering and colonizing international locations and exploiting them. People, the phrase hispanic has no longer converted! The American executive has bastardized it however hispanic way "of spain". So Spaniards are the actual hispanics! They had been referred to as the Imperio Hispano.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

There have always been a lot of Spanish speaking people in Texas. San Antonio, El Paso, these aren't English place names you know.

• JBS
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Better show up at the election each and every year and support candidates that want to stop the ILLEGAL infux o Mexicans across the border - if it is not stopped it will only get worse - more crime - more tax dollars wasted on undocumented non citizens and their families.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

I don't know about Texas, but in AZ the Hispanic Americans speak English and most of them, while poud of their heritage, are Americans fist.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Until Texas gets rid of Rick Perry Illegals will continue to pour in. He provides them incentives like instate tuition and sanctuary cities to come here.

• Yes. I live in San Antonio, and 67% of our population is Hispanic. I am white, and am a minority.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

In case you missed it, Hispanics/Latinos/Asian/African American will be a majority in the 2040 time frame.

• 1 decade ago

yes speak spanish

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

i don't trust anything from this whitehouse,which is where the census numbers come from...i live in Texas,and i don't see it...

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.