Blinkers for jumping?

Hello everyone :) My friend and I went riding earlier today, and I immediately noticed she had blinkers on her horse. We were going off for some show jumping practice, so I asked her why she had those on him. She explained that her horse gets unfocused easily when he jumps, so she uses them on him. He's a... show more Hello everyone :)

My friend and I went riding earlier today, and I immediately noticed she had blinkers on her horse. We were going off for some show jumping practice, so I asked her why she had those on him. She explained that her horse gets unfocused easily when he jumps, so she uses them on him. He's a lovely Swedish Warmblood, but he tends to be a little scatterbrained.

In all my 15 years of riding, this was the first time that I've seen a horse wearing blinkers for jumping. So it made me curious..

Does anyone here use blinkers for jumping? And would you recommend I try some on one of my Thoroughbreds (who's mind on occasion seems to wander when we're jumping)? He goes alright without blinkers though.

Thanks! :)
7 answers 7