Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

If marijuana is illegal, why aren't other psychoactive plants like salvia?

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

Because Salvia didn't threaten Hearst's lumber empire. Because the liquor industry couldn't rile people up against it. Because nobody knew of any "colored" or Mexican people who did salvia, but they knew plenty who did pot, and can we say racism?

Why pot is illegal has very, very little to do with its psychoactive abilities. Wiki has an excellent historical background.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

in most states salvia is illegal. In the military ALL psychoactive drugs are illegal. If marijuana was legalized and taxed, many problems would disappear. Cops could get back to looking for real criminals, tax base would widen, killings by mexican drug lords in calf would at least go down....

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Honest to god i thought the same thing & basically i looked into it + crossed checked sources. I can say that definitely in America it was banned due to racism & to a fair extent by other industries such as the alcohol/paper/tobacco industry that pushed heavily down on the government to ban it. (Aslinger is a good start if you want to look into the racism area of it)

As for the rest of the world i cannot say whilst my history is faulty as far as i'm aware America wasn't a ''superpower'' that influenced the world politically back in the 30s when it was banned (interestingly so was alcohol).

The reason it is still illegal is cause of the stigmata attached to it, rightly so in some cases (eg stoners are lazy & have poor academic performance, however that is more due to the crowd & other factors more-so than Marijuana making you a dumb s*it).

Youtube ''reefer madness'' its a video of basically an ad that was released decades back that was anti marijuana (the ''effects'' it shows imitate alcohol more-so than marijuana), People still attach these sort of beliefs to marijuana that its dangerous for you etc despite overwhelming evidence by major science universities proving all these myths false.

I once read Nixon was looking for info on why to keep it banned & a science team reported back to him that their tests contradicted his statements of the dangers of Marijuana.

Scientists are afraid to speak out due to fear of losing grants by the government, Medical/pharmaceutical companies would prefer to keep their pills ''in'' rather than using an alternative such as Marijuana that would be costly to start producing & developing. (cant speak about the benifits in terms of medical world)

Salvia is a drug that a good 80% of people wouldn't know what yer on about if you just said the word to them, its ''new'' to the western world although having been used for centuries in southern american indigenous cultures. I presume that the government can't outright ban it as a psychoactive substance because alcohol causes the same effects (impaired sense of judgement/balance/perception of reality etc & acts upon the CNS). Don't see why they just cant ban the substance specifically maybe they need to show that it is dangerous? which so far Salvia hasn't shown to do thankfully due to people smartly using it rather than abusing.

So long story short Marijuana was banned for stupid reasons although can be argued that it should still be banned (for social reasons), & salvia is still legal cause it isn't big on the radar

Source(s): non user tried both.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

Salvia is illegal in some States.Florida is one of them

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 3 years ago

Marijuana has been used medicinally for 5000 years, international extensive and under no circumstances killed a man or woman. the government record pot in a similar schedule as heroin. The thoroughly irrational reaction some human beings would desire to pot is a secret.

• 9 years ago

Or other addictive substances like cigarettes. Because somebody (powerful, up above) opposes such a decision. Or it's a matter of tradition: we have gotten used to having cigarettes or alcohol available. On the other hand, substances like marijuana were always connected with magic and mystical rituals. So, this is why they could have become taboo in the conscience of the masses.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Salvia is illegal here in Australia.

The rest of the world is just not as vigilant, is all.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

They are trying to ban salvia, too.

• 9 years ago

Because our laws are DERP

You know it used to be the law that every household grows at least one hemp tree?

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Good question. Marijuana hasn't been reported to cause aids. Can they say the same about any bodily fluids?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.