dose the moon rotate on its axis twice each time it revolves around earth?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Silent
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

No. The Moon rotates on its axis once each time it revolves around Earth.

If the Moon rotated more or less than once, different parts of the Moon would be visible throughout the month. But we always see the same side of the Moon from Earth.

• 3 years ago

to declare that the moon has an axis means that it does certainly rotate. If the moon isn't rotating then that's impossible to define an axis. Relative to the solar, the moon does rotate, yet from out attitude here in the worldwide it would not. Like many stuff, that is all a rely of your physique of reference.

• 9 years ago

The moon rotates once per orbit around the Earth as does Mercury around the sun. That's why we only ever see one side of the moon..

• Ben
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

The same part of the moon faces the earth all the time so it is one rotation per revolution, likely due to the origin of the moon being the primitive earth.

Source(s): I'm a Nerd
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

No. It is tidally locked with the Earth, which means it rotates exactly once for each time it orbits around the Earth.

• cobra
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

The moon does not rotate and has the sameface staring at the earth forever.

• 9 years ago

Every time I see the moon, it's always the same way round, so from the earth's point of view, it doesn't rotate at all.

• 9 years ago

i am pretty sure the moon does not rotate.

• 9 years ago

no it rotes once each day on its axis so 365 times a year but easy mistake

Source(s): school
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.