Opinion on Designer Dog Breeders who test for Genetic faults?

Now, the entire designer-dog thing completely sets me off. I think it's ridiculous, and you have to be extremely idiotic to pay a large sum of money for a mutt you could have adopted at a shelter for $75. (Think - these schnoodles, labradoodles, etc. would have just been mutts 20-30 years ago, what makes them... show more Now, the entire designer-dog thing completely sets me off. I think it's ridiculous, and you have to be extremely idiotic to pay a large sum of money for a mutt you could have adopted at a shelter for $75. (Think - these schnoodles, labradoodles, etc. would have just been mutts 20-30 years ago, what makes them so good now?) Anyways, I've come across some F1 Generation 'Labradoodle breeders' who have titled dogs (Ch. titled Labradors and Standard Poodles). They test for all genetic defects (Eyes/Elbows/Hips, etc) just like any breeder of pure bred dogs would. Only - they are producing mutts! What is your opinion of this? They charge as much as they would for a pure bred Labrador puppy (pet quality), have a contract with a 3 year guarantee, and their prices are based on the testing and veterinary costs. The dogs are fed a high quality raw diet, etc. What is your opinion? Would you pay money for a mutt puppy who was OK'd for genetic faults that could cause health problems in the near future? I met this breeder at a local Labrador club some months ago (She also has pure bred Lab and Poodle litters once or twice a year.) She had all of the things I would look for in a Lab breeder (considering this is what I call 'my breed') - only she also breeds Labradoodles!

Any thoughts on this? Good, bad, I found it quite interesting. She only produces F1 Labradoodles, so she doesn't have a breeding program for Labradoodles producing f2/f3.

I wish I could remember this breeder's name to see if she and her husband had a website.. maybe there would be more information.
Update: Also - have you heard of Designer dog breeders who have titled, champion sires/dams that are pure bred and free of genetic faults? This was the first breeder of mutts I had ever come across who actually performed the needed genetic testing, and had titled dogs.
Update 2: Oh, I'm not considering getting a puppy from her. I just found it interesting how should would go through all of that just to produce mutts. I found it strange, but she had copies of all of the testing - we met grown dogs from a little of mutts she had. I really didn't know what to think. If I get... show more Oh, I'm not considering getting a puppy from her. I just found it interesting how should would go through all of that just to produce mutts. I found it strange, but she had copies of all of the testing - we met grown dogs from a little of mutts she had. I really didn't know what to think.

If I get another Labrador, it will be show-quality and I will be starting my show career. I already have a few breeders who match my (very high) standards. But that is in the future.
Update 3: She said she produces one of each litter a year (one Labrador, One Poodle, One Mutt). Though, she said sometime she breeds her pure-breds 2/x a year.