Lycanthropyyy asked in PetsDogs · 10 years ago

Opinion on Designer Dog Breeders who test for Genetic faults?

Now, the entire designer-dog thing completely sets me off. I think it's ridiculous, and you have to be extremely idiotic to pay a large sum of money for a mutt you could have adopted at a shelter for $75. (Think - these schnoodles, labradoodles, etc. would have just been mutts 20-30 years ago, what makes them so good now?) Anyways, I've come across some F1 Generation 'Labradoodle breeders' who have titled dogs (Ch. titled Labradors and Standard Poodles). They test for all genetic defects (Eyes/Elbows/Hips, etc) just like any breeder of pure bred dogs would. Only - they are producing mutts! What is your opinion of this? They charge as much as they would for a pure bred Labrador puppy (pet quality), have a contract with a 3 year guarantee, and their prices are based on the testing and veterinary costs. The dogs are fed a high quality raw diet, etc. What is your opinion? Would you pay money for a mutt puppy who was OK'd for genetic faults that could cause health problems in the near future? I met this breeder at a local Labrador club some months ago (She also has pure bred Lab and Poodle litters once or twice a year.) She had all of the things I would look for in a Lab breeder (considering this is what I call 'my breed') - only she also breeds Labradoodles!

Any thoughts on this? Good, bad, I found it quite interesting. She only produces F1 Labradoodles, so she doesn't have a breeding program for Labradoodles producing f2/f3.

I wish I could remember this breeder's name to see if she and her husband had a website.. maybe there would be more information.

Also - have you heard of Designer dog breeders who have titled, champion sires/dams that are pure bred and free of genetic faults? This was the first breeder of mutts I had ever come across who actually performed the needed genetic testing, and had titled dogs.

Oh, I'm not considering getting a puppy from her. I just found it interesting how should would go through all of that just to produce mutts. I found it strange, but she had copies of all of the testing - we met grown dogs from a little of mutts she had. I really didn't know what to think.

If I get another Labrador, it will be show-quality and I will be starting my show career. I already have a few breeders who match my (very high) standards. But that is in the future.

She said she produces one of each litter a year (one Labrador, One Poodle, One Mutt). Though, she said sometime she breeds her pure-breds 2/x a year.

Favorite Answer

It's like having a gold medal and then having it bronzed.....what's the point?

• Sharon

You know... this question has made me stop and think. I've never thought of those "designer dogs" aka mixed breeds, aka mutts, as actually coming from a breeder. What comes to mind for me, is puppy mill, or (and oh, how I hate to use this term) byb. I coulda swore the whole point of a breeder, was to try and meet the standard while keeping health, build, and temperment in mind. At least, that's my loose definition of it, I realize some have a more stringent definition in mind. I don't see how you can meet those goals with a mix, as you can't really guarantee, much less plan the outcome. Hmmm... have to think about this one awhile. Edit: Thank you EverCavalier for providing that informative link. I really liked their standard! As so much of it was this or that, nothing definite, and another chunk of it was "as yet to be determined". What a great standard. If they stick with it, perhaps in a couple decades they'll have the kinks worked out, and a new breed might emerge, but I do think they are jumping the gun a bit. After all, truth to be told, where did we get long haired chihuahuas, they didn't just magically appear, but were crossed to bring in that coat. And selective breeding led to the sizes in the poodles and other breeds like the dachsunds. It is possible they might could come up with something. Look at those munchkin (I think that's what they are called) cats with the short front legs, they selectively bred that defect into it's own breed. My! What determination that must have taken.

I read that there are over 400 different pure breed dog breeds in the world. We do not need any more mixes if you check the person who first started this experiment in Australia he now regrets it the experiment failed.

Breeding as you say designer breeds is just marketing they are mutts now don't get me wrong all trained dogs are cool mutt or not but I will stick with my well bred pure breed dogs in the end I am sure I will have less problems. I know what the dog will be like in size and temperament I have a health guarantee and a ton of support because others have my breed of dog and know all about them including my breeder.

All the scientific research that has been done in this area shows that mutts live longer and are healthier than purebreds. The disadvantage of a mutt is that its parents usually haven't had the genetic testing that purebred breeders do (or should do).

However, hybrid "Designer Dogs", can provide the best of both worlds, purebreds and mutts: the ability to carefully select the parent dogs for health and temperament, and test for genetic disease (as you can with purebreds); and the increased health and longevity provided by genetic diversity (like mutts).

Certainly you need to be careful, as puppy mills that have jumped on to the “Designer Dog” band wagon purely to make a profit. But there are also many dedicated hybrid breeders who aim to produce healthy dogs, without the genetic problems that plague many purebreds. They simply want to produce happy, healthy family pets.

Source(s): Animal Welfare, 1999, Vol 8, 329-331 "Hybrids have a far lower chance of exhibiting the disorders that are common with the parental breeds. Their genetic health will be substantially higher." (P338)\ The Veterinary Record, 29/4/2000, p. 519-57 "Mongrel dogs are less prone to many diseases then the average purebred dog." J. Geront., BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES, 1997, Vol 52A,No.3, B171-B178 "The median age at death was 8.5 years for all mixed breed dogs and 6.7 years for all pure breed dogs For each weight group, the age at death of pure breed dogs was significantly less than for mixed breed dogs."

Eh, I still don't like it unless the dogs will have a purpose. There are a few hunting breeds that are crossed, to produce a better rounded hunting dogs. The few I know of cross GSPs with Labs, but still test the dogs and most puppies go to working homes. That's fine by me.

However, I doubt I'd ever pay that much for a mutt dog, working or not. I'd just find another breed.

It's a scam - it's a scam because someone would use their breeding program to ignorantly breed animals. I'm assuming she does this because she isn't making a profit off of her regular breeding program - she is probably able to have more litters produced this way.

It's pathetic that someone would take quality dogs and turn them in to mutt producers.

It's pointless - Labradoodles are not recognized as a breed. The dogs will not be bred again, there is no purpose to them at all. I have no idea why a breeder would waste their breeding program on mutts.

If you're looking for a Labrador - don't go to someone who willingly breeds mutts. I don't care how top quality her Labradors are.

I wonder when she starts breeding her females and how many litters they produce over a lifetime.

ADD: By your add-on - she is clearly trying to make a profit off her breeding program. Generally, reputable breeders will not have more than one litter a year.

I doubt they use the Champions for producing the mix breed,that's crazy but I guess possible.Each parent would be proven in their breed so why mix them?.Genetic testing is always good.I just don't understand the thought behind mixing two different types of breeds.One is very low shedding, less likely to cause allergic problems ,the other a fairly heavy shedder and definitely not good for allergy sufferers.

Source(s): 20+ yr dog breeder

still back yard breeders.

Why? They are still only producing pet-quality animals. They are not breeding to improove or preserve.

What good do those CH titles do on the labs and poodles if they are being used to produce mongrels?

If shelters were not full of pet-quality animals.. this wouldnt be an issue. But there's no reason to purposly produce pets when there's plenty of pets needing homes.

• Pamela

All of the testing in the world doesn't mean squat if you are breeding mutts. Testing of dogs being breed as pure bred dogs helps in getting rid of genetic defects in pure bred dogs. But by cross breeding them it all goes out the window and is no good.

This woman is a BYBer in all sense of the word.