Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 decade ago

Life in Russia in the 1900? The rich, the Royal family, Population etc.?

I was wondering if anybody could help me and give me some brief 'bullet point' type answers for what was Russia like in 1900?

under the sub headings of:

Citites

The Rich

Royal Family

Population

Poor People

The Land

thanks in advance

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Population :

In 1900 the Russia Empire covered nearly 23 million square kilometres. Only a quarter of it was in Europe and the rest in Asia. The majority of the 128 million population were Slavs, but there were over 200 different nationalities. Several of these groups wanted regional autonomy and this was the cause of a constant source of political conflict. There were also 5 million Jews and around 23 million Muslims living in the Russian Empire. The government's policy of russification (forbidding the use of local languages and the suppression of religious customs) created a great deal of resentment.

Cities:

St. Petersburg was the largest city in the Russian Empire with a population of 1,260,000. Other large cities included Moscow (1,040,000), Warsaw (680,000), Odessa (400,000), Lodz (310,000), Riga (280,000) and Kiev (250,000).

Poor and the land:

Around 85 per cent of the Russian people lived in the countryside and earned their living from agriculture. Russian peasants had been serfs until the passing of the Emancipation Act in 1861. The nobility owned the best land and the vast majority of peasants lived in extreme poverty.

Conditions in Russian factories were well below those enjoyed by industrial workers in Europe. They worked on average an 11 hour day (10 hours on Saturday). Conditions in the factories were extremely harsh and little concern was shown for the workers' health and safety. Trade Unions were illegal in Russia and industrial workers found it difficult to improve their standard of living. Strikes were also prohibited and when they took place the Russian Army was likely to be called in to deal with the workers

Royal Family :

The Tsar also had the power to grant hereditary titles. These usually went to men who had achieved high rank in the armed forces and the civil service. It 1900 it was estimated that there were about 1.8 million members of the nobility in Russia

Nicholas II was a highly sensitive man who preferred to be with his family than involve himself in the day-today running of his nation. A weak man, he was frequently bullied into doing things by his overbearing wife, Alexandra.

Nicholas had married Princess Alexandra in 1894. She was the daughter of the Grand Duke of Hesse and a grand-daughter of Queen Victoria. The daughter who came from a small German state, found herself married to the position of Empress of all Russians. She embraced the orthodox faith with all the fanaticism of a convert and she decided to convince all at court that she was more Russian than the Russians. She was a very strong supporter of Russification introduced by Alexander III and to all intents she bullied her husband. Nicholas was a family man – his wife wanted him to display the talents of his father – to be aggressive, strong and resolute.

Alexandra was never popular in Russia. Her personality upset and angered very many of the people she met. However, despite her attempts to get her husband to be more resolute, she was a devoted wife to Nicholas. Alexandra was also determined to produce a male heir for the Romanov dynasty. In 1904, amidst much celebration, Alexis was born – a male heir to ensure the continuation of the Romanovs. However, the happiness of Nicholas and Alexandra was short lived as Alexis was diagnosed as a haemophiliac and was not expected to live long. Both parents devoted much time to the boy and left the government of Russia to others. Alexandra was a very protective mother, but she was also determined to see that her son became tsar. Alexandra believed that she was more suited to do this than her husband:

• stram
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Russia 1900

• 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Life in Russia in the 1900? The rich, the Royal family, Population etc.?

I was wondering if anybody could help me and give me some brief 'bullet point' type answers for what was Russia like in 1900?

under the sub headings of:

Citites

The Rich

Royal Family

Population

Poor People

The Land

thanks in advance

Source(s): life russia 1900 rich royal family population etc: https://biturl.im/j24NG
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

You have a very good point. But I would have to agree with Mintee this life is very short and those who waste the gifts that Allah has given us will have to answer to him on the day of judgement. And those who are greedy and pile up things for no reason will have to answer for that too. And yes what is happening with you Saudis is not fair but also consider the bad treatment that foreign workers like Syrians, Palestinians and Egyptians get here, they are payed less then Saudis for the same or more work, they can't change their sponsorship ect. As far as paying that amount of money for your marriage I suggest that you find a girl who cares about you and not only about your money. If the girl you marry loves you she will not want to see you broke after the wedding. Find a girl who values you for who you are as a person and not for your money. The kind of woman that you want to marry will consider if you will treat her well, repsect her and have a long lasting relationship with her and not how much mahar you can pay her. If you are feeling bad about your situation just take a look around you at the people who are less fortunate than you are like the drivers who get 1000SR a month, the Palestinians whos country is occupied, or even most Syrains, Egyptians, Jordanians and other arabs whose countries aren't even able to give them what the Saudis have and say alhumdulilah.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    6 years ago

Who was in charge? Nicholas 2nd was in charge throughout most of the 1900s

How big was Russia? 23 million square kilometres, Asia was ¾ of this

What was the population? 128 million people in total

What was the main religion? Christian and the main church they used was called the Russian Orthodox Church

What language did they speak? Russian as it was declared the official language of Russia in 1900

• 7 years ago

I have no idea!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.