Ta C asked in HealthAlternative Medicine · 1 decade ago

Why does the FDA hate electronic cigarettes?

From what I understand, they are in every way an improvement to the conventional cigarette. Does the FDA want our nation's 40 million smokers to just die with no suitable replacement for their addiction? I do disagree with marketing to non-smokers, but smokers should have easy access to such an improvement to the conventional cigarette.

I think it's all about the money, and the FDA can make a lot of money if it becomes mandatory for electronic cigarettes to go through them.

• Kate
    Favorite Answer

The FDA have been suppressing smokeless cigarettes since 1987 by over regulating them - http://vapersnetwork.org/NJOY%20v%20FDA

Their excuse is that nicotine is a medicine and should have to prove effective (at something), of certain quality and 'safe'. The only recreational nicotine products permitted by them apparently is tobacco. Their system of regulation removes the competition from tobacco products and pretends that medical nicotine products are effective. Medical nicotine is well proven to be ineffective and that's a lot to do with the regulatory process itself. If caffeine was regulated in the same way it wouldn't be much fun either probably and folks would use the non-medical products even if they were harmful.

If traders sell a product with medical claims there is no question that they bring themselves under medical regulation. If products are sold for recreational use then authorities in the US don't know who can enforce consumer law so they're leaving the problem to the FDA who can only regulate as medicine or tobacco. There will be a court hearing later in the month that will determine if ecigs are medical devices or not.

My theory is that the FDA is not concerned with public health but is simply wrapped up in bureaucratic power play and empire building at the cost of common sense. If ecigs had been regulated in a way proportionate to their level of risk in 1987 there would probably be quite a few million healthier 'smokers' around now.

The anti-ecig campaigns by lobbyists and the FDA itself highlights the lack of concern for finding solutions to the old problems of tobacco that they thrive on.

I hadn't heard about electronic cigarettes until I saw your question. I would say that the FDA won't be making a lot of money as they are paid via our tax dollars, but the FDA is known to make a lot of money for those who run it and the corporate business buddies. FDA is corrupt and the interest of the employees of the FDA is to make money for themselves and the corporations. The health of the US taxpayer doesn't really matter to the FDA.

It doesn't 'hate'them, your paranoia is showing. They are being sold as a medical appliance to help addition, they should damn well be able to go through trials to show they are effective before people pay good money for crap that doesn't work.

For that would mean people were being ripped off. Good for the FDA

And here is why. Sounds like a typical scam to me

"The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today announced that a laboratory analysis of electronic cigarette samples has found that they contain carcinogens and toxic chemicals such as diethylene glycol, an ingredient used in antifreeze.

Electronic cigarettes, also called “e-cigarettes,” are battery-operated devices that generally contain cartridges filled with nicotine, flavor and other chemicals. The electronic cigarette turns nicotine, which is highly addictive, and other chemicals into a vapor that is inhaled by the user.

These products are marketed and sold to young people and are readily available online and in shopping malls. In addition, these products do not contain any health warnings comparable to FDA-approved nicotine replacement products or conventional cigarettes."

The FDA probably doesn't hate them, probably just doesn't trust them because they're new and there's no knowledge of long term side effects yet. It sounds safe, to vaporize nicotine, but when I first saw them out (I am a smoker) I thought it looked experimental and I wouldn't want to try it. Electronic cigarettes won't help people to quit smoking. Its the taste when you light a cigarette, the first inhale, that makes cigarettes nice. Its the smoke coming out of your mouth, its feeling the smoke go into your lungs. Vaporizing nicotine takes all of those factors away, which makes it different from actually smoking.

They miss the taxes they get when a smoker switches to vaping.