Is it confusing to have more than one trainer?

I'm 15 and have been riding English consistently for about a year now. My trainer says I am progressing well and should start to refine my goals as far a discipline. She is a hunt seat and hunter/jumper trainer. I want to pick up extra lessons during the week, but she is only at my barn for one day a week. So my mom called and a trainer that filled in for mine once has an open lesson slot. I really liked her approach as well, but worry that because they are two entirely different trainers (both excellent but still), that I will confuse myself between lessons. Let me try to explain how they each do things and maybe you can tell me if you think it would be problematic.

My current trainer- She is more about overall improvement and general skill first. For example, when I was learning to trot on a quicker horse she simply told me to pick up a trot and feel to get a post going, but to completely disregard diagonals. Eventually when I was stable she worked in diagonals. Also, she is much more terse. Not necessarily in a bad way but it keeps me wanting to prove that I can do better so I guess it is good. Again, she is a hunt seat and hunter/jumper trainer.

The one I want to start with-She is much more about helping me to understand the reason behind what makes my riding better. She took the time to explain why diagonals were important and how to find them before she even saw me post a trot. Also, she is much more supportive, if I mess up she stops me and explains why it wasn't right. She is a dressage trainer, who has shown dressage and hunter/jumper. She also insists that I would make a great dressage rider because I have a naturally deep seat.

So what do you think? Would it be hard to use two different trainers?

• sazzy
    Best Answer

It can actually be very helpful to have two different trainers, as you get to see how your riding is from two different perspectives.

It can be a little odd to start with, at the school I work at I get a lesson weekly from my instructor who has taught me since I was 8 - and about 3 years ago, a girl who'd just passed her teaching test taught a few lessons. It was so odd to have some one else teaching me, and I didn't like it to start with - but actually by the end of the lesson I found I was getting a lot out of it, as she had another perspective and another way of teaching which was refreshing, and it was nice to get a different point of view.

With two different teachers working on different things, often it can help break up just having the one teacher all the time, and can actually do a lot of good for you and help you improve quicker. As every instructor has different things they're good at teaching.

I imagine it could be frustrating at times, when you're told to do one thing one way by one trainer and then the same thing another way by another trainer, but I think it will make you a better rider. You never know, one trainer may know something the other one doesn't to help you improve where you're having trouble. I have taken lessons from multiple trainers over the years. I have always had one trainer that I take regular lessons from, but every once in a while I'll take a lesson at another barn or participate in a clinic put on by someone other than my own trainer, and I find it always helps. A second opinion is always good for filling in the gaps your trainer may have left or just saying the same thing in a way that's easier for you to understand. I say, go for it! If you find it's too much for you after a few weeks, you can always go back to one trainer. The other will understand if you say the methods conflict too much for you at this point in your riding. Or you may find that it helps you to have things explained to you two ways! xD

Just keep in mind the more teachers you have the more possibilities you have to learn. This sounds like a good opportunity to learn from two very excellent people. Keep in mind each trainer will have their petpeeves and once you get to know them it will be quite easy to avoid any possible issues. While one trainer might miss a few important things the other will more than likely help fill the gaps. I rode western and english lessons throughout my high school years and it helps to know and learn as much as you can from as many different people as you can, it helps make you a better rider in the long run. It helps if you're prepared for anything and the more you know the more you can do.

Personally, I find it frustrating. Because they will both want you to ride their way and you will forever be getting told contradictary things. I spent several months trying to ride with longer stirrups and with my leg back, practising riding in that barely possible way because one instructor told me to do that. Then I had a lesson with a different one who told me to put my stirrups up and my leg forward =/

You could do it, but it would be confusing and you would waste too much time trying to adjust your riding to each of them that you may find you progress slower, especially as they do things quite differently from the sounds of it. I'd stick to one if I were you. If you want more lessons then see if the other trainer (the second one) would be avaliable for multiple lessons throughout the week and sadly say good bye to your current one. It would just be simpler that way and you'd get better faster because you wouldn't be trying to do two opposite things at once.

like everybody else said, it can be helpful and confusing at the same time. one of my trainer told me to nudge with my outside leg to get a horse to canter, the other one told me to squeeze with both legs, the outside leg behind the girth, the inside leg at the girth and put a little pressure on the inside rein. it got a bit confusing but everything else was great cause i got 2 pairs of eyes looking at me and sometimes they would teach me something a trainer left out. i use to go into 2 point when i just needed to do a half seat because the jump was small and the trainer never objected, then i went to camp and a 3rd trainer told me to only do a half seat on a jump that size. so go for it! it may get confusing at times but it helps you improve quicker.

I have two instructors with the exact same problems.. they are both showjumpers but one gets me jumping higher with a single pole whilst the other builds proper jumps that you would find in a competition they each put me on different horses so i can't get used to one and i get frustrated when they each tell me different things BAD POINT: they dont know what ive done with the other

GOOD POINT: i pushed myself further and learned more think about it and hop it goes well

• Emura

No in fact having two is probably going to make you a better rider. Like you said one is more about helping you improve your skills while the other is about helping you understand why something is done. Both are extremely important and you are lucky to get to experience both.

I have two trainers, and both are a lot like yours. My dressage trainer looks at things deeply and into the meaning, so I have learned a lot with her. My hunter trainer is just like your hunter trainer.

I think it will be really beneficial to you, it was to me.