Want to buy a rifle. But what kind?

So here is the dilemma, i turned 18 a few months ago, and as a birthday present i told my parents i want a gun. But i don't want a pistol, because i want to be able to own it, and go shoot it at the range whenever i want. So What kind of rifles can i buy with say a $300 limit give or take. I want an AR-15, but those are kinda pricey. So any good suggestions?

Best Answer

Well I would tell anyone to start with a .22 You can get a Ruger 10/22 & lots of ammo for that.

If you are wanting something more "tactical" looking for fun (you mention AR) Get an SKS and bubba the heck out of it. you could find one and some ammo in that price range. A little more money and you could get an AK-47 wasr 10, same ammo as the SKS, but I fell it is inferior.

Yes, AR-15s are very pricey and you probably wont find a good one for less than $700. So thats outa the question. Like someone already stated, M1 Garands are very good rifles, But those are alot more than any AR-15 ive seen. If I was you, id pick up any SKS, as long as its in good condition obviously. They shoot 7.62x39mm cartridges and are a blast to shoot becuase they have minimal recoil and ammo is VERY cheap (you can get a box of 20rds for about $5 in most places). You should be able to find a good SKS for $200-$300 easy. You can also customize the hell outa it. I bought mine 3yrs ago for about $150. Other than that, the Ruger 10/22 is a good choice for plinking, but it is a smaller round and not good for much things other than small game and some target shooting.

It will depend on what is legal in your state. There is a 25-250 that is fairly good as is the .243 and the .270 All 3 have good straight trajectory for the most part and have small kicks. There are also Muzzle breaks that can be added by good gunsmiths to guns like a 30-06. I would take whatever you have and talk to a gunsmith about how to make it work for you. Muzzle Breaks and other ad ons can reduce the kick of a rifle or other weapon. I would try Gary Romans at Fire Arms Service Center in Louisville, Kentucky. Gary is a Master Gunsmith and can give you options on the guns you have. Depending on where you live he can probably also put you in touch with a great gun smith who can help you based on your states regulations.

With that price range, you're gonna be limited to mostly surplus rifles like the Mosin Nagant and Mauser 98k (and maybe an SKS), which you can get for usually less than 300. A good NEW rifle for around that price is the Savage Edge http://www.savagearms.com/ , or a used Savage or Stevens: http://www.gunbroker.com/. Although I'd recommend against something in a really powerful cartridge if you're just starting out, (try to go smaller than a .308), so maybe go for a .22 like the Ruger 10/22 or Marlin model 60.

• ?

Marlin XL7, Mossberg and The NE Handi rifle. All can be had in a lot of different popular calibers and all at the $300 limit and less NEW and USED. Also the Marlin 30/30 336. Any 22 and 17 caliber in most makes.

• Joshua

You can own a pistol, you just cant buy it from a dealer until you are 21.

I would suggest any kind of surplus rifle. Preferably a mauser of some kind or a mosin nagant.

You could possibly build an AR, the lower is what you need to be 18 for, I built mine and it cost me 800 dollars (I used an expensive M16 upper).

You could get a complete or partially complete lower for 200 dollars.

Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

Given your budget, and the fact that's your first rifle, I say Ruger 10/22. It will be customizable beyond your ability for years to come. I'm not downplaying your ability, but it can be one of the most accurate .22 rifles in the world with lots of adjustments.

With $300 your relegated to mostly .22 rifles. You may... may be able to get an SKS but your pushing your budget and then there is ammo.

Also depending on your state you can buy handguns legally. But it needs to be a private sale.

Buy a copy of "Shotgun News" and you will get a good idea of what is available and prices. I recommend something in a standard caliber to avoid pricey ammo. A .22LR is good to start with, inexpensive and easy to shoot.

• You can't go wrong with a Ruger 10/22. Or, if you think you can handle something bigger, lok for a used Marlin or Winchester .30-30 lever-action, or perhaps a surplus Mosin-Nagant.