Legal advice for shoplifting...?

Before I explain my situation, I would like to say that yes, I fully understand what I did was completely wrong. I messed up big time and there is no excuse for it. I am thoroughly disgusted with myself and my actions and am asking for some advice, and not a lecture of my wrong doings. A little over a week ago... show more Before I explain my situation, I would like to say that yes, I fully understand what I did was completely wrong. I messed up big time and there is no excuse for it. I am thoroughly disgusted with myself and my actions and am asking for some advice, and not a lecture of my wrong doings.

A little over a week ago I got caught shoplifting from Wal-Mart in NH with $70 worth of make-up ( yes, I know very stupid, not worth it, and pathetic). It was the first time, and certainly will be the last time I ever, ever do something so stupid. I am 18. I was not arrested, but I was taken to the police department and asked to explain the situation, take my picture, fingerprints ect. They gave me my court date and the officer was very nice and understanding and told me not to worry, it isn't a big crime. However, this did not take away the great deal of shame, guilt, and disgust I had and still have for myself and my actions. Anyways, I am currently a freshman in college in MA working towards my nursing degree. I would really not like this to be on my record because being a nurse, it will hurt me trying to get a job and would have to report and explain this to the Board. Also, I constantly remind myself every day of my stupidity and just the sight of Wal-Mart makes me queasy so I need no extra reminders on my record. I would just like to know if asking the police departments prosecutor for a plea bargain would be a good idea to try and keep this off my record. Do they usually give plea bargains for these types of situations? If you have any extra helpful advice for me, it would be extremely helpful. Thank you in advance for taking the time out of your day to help me with this dilemma.
Update: Another thing is that Wal-Mart had a lady undercover that was going around the store spying on people/ searching for people stealing so it's not like I can plead not guilty because she was the one who stopped me and my friend at the exit and asked me to empty my baggage.