? asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 1 decade ago

when camping how can i keep wild animals away from me?

Favorite Answer

It would help to learn about the animals in the area your camping. Knowledge is power and can prevent bad encounters with animals.

Never pitch a tent on a game trail, moose will run right over it and you will be in a high traffic area for animals.

Never cook next to your tent. Now I know LOTS of people do that but the problem is the smell of food attracts animals like raccoons, coyotes, bears, scavengers etc. The smell of cooking will linger in that area for many hours. So cook at least 20 yards from your tent.

Also never go to sleep with the smell of food on your body or clothes. Wash up and change into clean clothes. Never keep food in your tent or eat in your tent. Keep food in a animal proof container hung from a tree branch with the rope tied to another tree and make sure its at least 20 feet off the ground. That will prevent bears and raccoons from getting into it. I use two ropes. One has a pulley on one end. I run the other rope through the pulley, toss the pulley rope over a tall tree branch and tie it off to a near by tree. Then I pull my food container up and tie that off. When I am camping with a large group and lots of food I use a wooden pallet with ropes tied to it and secure all the ice chests to it and use my ATV, car or truck to pull it up the tree via the pulley system.

To avoid problems with animals never get near a mother moose or bear with young. Make noise as you walk so bears here you and can avoid you. They don’t like being surprised. Avoid berry patches in bear country and thick brush. In Mountain lion country stay alert and carry a walking staff if needed for protection. They seldom attack a human but have done so and those who survived fought back.

A can of bear spray will work on lions and bears *most* of the time. Firearms can scare off animals with a warning shot. Noise makers like hand held air horns work at times also. But one must be very accurate with a gun, have the right kind of gun and know where to shoot an animal in an attack for it to work.

If you have a small dog it could be lunch for coyotes, mountain lions and bears, so keep it close to you and don’t let it run around loose.

Here is a link with advice on how not to die in the outdoors. They also have good advice on other things;

http://www.survivaltopics.com/survival/most-popula...

Here is a link about being safe around mountain lions;

http://fwp.mt.gov/recreation/safety/wildlife/lion/

How to safely camp around bears;

http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/training/bearbag.shtm...

Any animal acting strangely should be avoided because it could have rabies. Never feed any wild animals or try to get close to them. It is true urinating around your tent will keep some critters away and a smoky fire helps also.

I live in Alaska and worked as a big game guide for a number of years. I hunt, camp and fish with lots of bears around in fact they are on my property this time of year. I hope some of my advice will be helpful to you.

for one dont hide from them be noisy and stand you ground if there is a encouter. wild animals want weak prey and will back down. for saftey. urinate around the camp site and have a good fire going. and make a barrior from branches that has one opening leaving something like cans tied to stringor anything loud incase something does come in and you will be awake so you can fend yourself

Keep food put away , keep a nice camp fire going,urinate around the camp area,...and I'm really liking the idea of putting heads on pikes around the outer parameter of your camp.......LOLOLOL!

Cut off any animal heads in your camp site, and impale them on sharp sticks all around your camp site.

Source(s): Worked for me in the Congo, back in the mid 60's using native heads.LOL.

mostly you dont see that much animals but you still do there could be a squirrel up in the tree but its scared of you. deers and does hear your foot step they run away. i never ran into anything scary like ppl say bears, mountain lions they dont really come to your camp site

Source(s): i go camping all the time

always clean up after you eat! Always, keep it up in a tree if you have too away from your camp. mainly keep you camp clean.

• Keep the campfire going.

"Camp" in a motel room.

Urinate around your campsite and keep a nice fire.