Can I substitute chicken for sausage in this recipe?

Will this recipe (a broccoli rabe and sausage bread pizza) still taste good if i use ground chicken instead of sausage?

Here is a link to the recipe: http://rachaelray.com/recipe.php?recipe_id=3228

Favorite Answer

Generally you can swap chicken for sausage most of the time. In Rachel Ray's delicious recipe use the ground chicken with complete confidence. The olive oil will give you a fabulous golden color on the chicken, which will look stunning against the broccoli. Or use strips of chicken fillet for a meatier bite!

Yes, definitely but sausage has more flavor than chicken, so you might want to season the chicken a bit. Rachael Rays recipe did not pop up, if it calls for cooking the sausage prior to putting on the pizza, make sure not to overcook the chicken or it will be very dry. You can also put the cooked chicken pieces on the pizza near the end of the cooking time.

Source(s): experience

Why don't you use chicken or turkey sausage so that the recipe still holds it's original purpose? Otherwise, I wouldn't call it Broccoli Rabe and SAUSAGE bread pizza... I'd call it Broccoli Rabe and CHICKEN bread pizza. LOL.

Good luck!

Yes you can use chicken. How about using chicken sausage instead! It would have more flavor and be closer to the original recipe.

Thanks Lily, sounds tasty. I will have to try this recipe. Lately we put our chicken into one of those oven bags and shove it in the oven with some squash and potatoes. Serves a dual purpose, helps heat up the house as well as cook dinner. I will try this though as we just bought a nice new frying pan, need to break it in. Yesterday we did fry some sausages, usually not what I chose to eat but husband enjoys these. They came out great in the new pan. Hungarian sausages in a 3 pack, nice pork sausage, a blood sausage and a liver sausage. Had them with roasted potatoes and some homemade red cabbage and a glass of beer. We only ate half the meal, will reheat the left overs in the oven. Pork chops we usually flour, dip in egg and then bread crumbs then fry. We first pound them down to a nice flat size so they fry fast and the crumbs will not burn. I hadn't eaten any red meat for over 30 years but lately seems I am making up for lost time. hard not to eat rich foods living over here in HU. I don't think fried foods hurt you if you don't over eat and don't have them everyday. We take long walks most days and I exercise daily so having a balance of rich foods and exercise works out for me. Moderation in everything. This morning I spent a long while getting every feather out of goose skin with a bit of goose grease. We melt the grease down and fry up the skin which is cut into small pieces. We already have some goose liver cooked up, add extra grease to keep it soft in the fridge. I love it, can't find goose grease and raw skin for sale in normal grocery stores in the US. really nice spread on toast with a raw red onion with either tea in the morning or wine at night. The skin is so tasty when it just cools from frying, have to eat bread with these rich foods or you could get a stomach ache. We put sea salt on the goose liver and grease before eating. Sometimes we use the goose fat for frying, that is extremely sinful but so worth it.

Yes. Be sure to cook the chicken first, before putting it on the pizza.

Yes, but add some Italian seasoning to it - will blend better with your pizza flavors. Good luck!

You might want to add poultry spice to the ground chicken.

Yes and chicken would make it a little healthier, that's for sure!

• Amy

you can substitute any meat for another.it will just have a different flavor which isn't always bad.and if you mix the two together it comes out different again and just as good