Ronni R asked in Social SciencePsychology · 1 decade ago

good pyhcology book for mind?

I have a issue with getting down on my self. Basically I am my own worst enemy, in everything, especially school work and sports. I need a good book to read to help me find out a way to help myself.

Favorite Answer

It's a tough one - maybe you could get a school councilor to explain how this works.

Often times, you criticize yourself just like you were criticized as a little kid - you treat yourself just like you were treated as a little kid. The problem is, you often don't remember how miserably you were treated. Often people will talk about their "happy childhood" - but it wasn't very happy.

When you are down on yourself, you have been taught to be - it's really that simple. The words you say to yourself (about yourself) are often the exact words spoken to you by your mother/father.

It's important that you look into this and maybe make it stop or if you have children, you are very apt to speak to them in exactly the same miserable way. This is how abuse spreads from one generation to the next.

It is felt as as you learn more and more about your past, then this need to criticize yourself will fade away. It's only when it remains unknown that it goes on and on through the years.