promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
? asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 10 years ago

Is it true that Alice In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass came about because of Carroll's acid "trip"?

I heard something of the sort. People said he was having writers' block and so took LSD. After he came out of his "trip," he was able to write Alice In Wonderland and Through The Looking Glass.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Carroll wrote Alice in wonderland in 1865 before LSD was ever even synthesized by Albert Hofmann in 1938 and it still wasn't until 1943 that LSD effects were discovered.

So Carroll missed that train by like almost 80 years.

Also in Lewis Carroll's time, opium was the drug of choice and was use in 5 out of 6 households

but the most accepted theory behind Carroll's vivid imagination is because he suffered from Migraine Hallucinations.

Source(s): under the Drugs and hallucinations section http://www.alice-in-wonderland.net/alice10.html
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

No, it's not true.

To start off, "Alice in Wonderland" wasn't a planned story. It was something he made up as he went along, which is why it's so random and illogical. He told it to the daughters of a family he was friends with during a boat trip, so he didn't have any type of writer's block. Quite the opposite, actually.

LSD hadn't even been synthesized during "Alice in Wonderland" or its sequels time. The first book was created in 1860, the second not too far after that. LSD was first synthesized in the 1930s, and became especially popular during the 60s.

His work may seem very trippy, but it's not because he was on drugs. He was just a very creative man. : )

• 4 years ago

I have never read through the looking glass, but I love Alice in Wonderland. I have often wonder if he was perhaps engaging in some form of narcotic when he wrote the book. It is so random and often obscure. I am still a fan. Any thoughts on L.Frank Baum and his Wizard of Oz Series?

• 10 years ago

I don't know if it was necessarily about Carroll's acid trip but it's definitely about someone's acid trip. Everything in the book is about drugs one way or another. Eating the mushrooms that make you taller or shorter, eating cake, drinking strange liquid, the cheshire cat....The entire thing is amazing though if you ask me, not because of the drugs but just some of the creativity that the mind can come up with!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

It wasn't about LSD or any psychedelic believe it or not, it was actually inspired by Lewis Carroll's journey down a river with three young girls, and he happened to be on opium. The trippy stuff involved in the story was just to please the girls on the boat.

• 10 years ago

no the actual story came from a person that was high while he was writing, and a lot of good things came from people that had some type of stimulant, for instance the number zero was made by a society that was addicted to coffee

• 10 years ago

It's from the adventure stories he told his nieces. The youngest being Alice.

• 10 years ago

It's about drugs, if you look at the flowers in the story, they're all the flowers you can get high off of. Not to mention the shrooms?

• 10 years ago

most likely yes.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.