Can I obtain Hungarian citizenship through my grandfather?

My grandfather was born in Hungary in the 1930s, moved to the United States in the 50s but still has his hungarian citizenship. My mother was born here in the states and never obtained citizenship. Can I still get citizenship? I'd like to get a EU passport.

3 Answers

  • Phil
    Lv 7
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

    Citizenship by birth and adoption

    A person acquires Hungarian citizenship at birth if at least one parent is a Hungarian citizen. The place of birth is irrelevant.

    Now the only issue is that prior law has effect -- this is not retroactive so if citizenship was not passable under prior law it did not pass. You should check with the consulate. But under current law your mother is probably a citizen.

    "A controversial new law on citizenship has been passed in Hungary, despite concern voiced in neighbouring countries. It will now be easier for more than two million ethnic Hungarians living in central and eastern Europe to obtain Hungarian citizenship.

    The new law, passed in parliament, removes the requirement for people to spend time in Hungary if they want to apply for citizenship. They will just have to prove Hungarian ancestry and speak the language."

  • HJW
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

    Your mother needs to be a citizen first, check the Embassy's link and read how :

  • 9 years ago

    Check with the Embassy. It is not that easy and the answer might be no.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.