? asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 9 years ago

Minor v. Happersett holds that no 14th amendment US citizen can be president, only a "natural born citizen"?

can be.

Minor holds, as a ruling that nowhere in the 14th amendment is the definition of a natural born citizen.

So if you meet the definition of any statutory citizen in the 14th amendment, you cannot be a natural born citizen.

Obama's COLB says he was born in Hawaii with one US citizen parent, and based on what that "says" he fits one of the definitions of a 14th amendment statutory citizen.

Obama therefore cannot be a natural born citizen per Minor.

Obama cannot be eligible as POTUS, and per the Constitution legally is NOT potus.

So why does anyone have to follow an imposter?

Update:

I meant ARTICLE II section 1 clause 5 says no statutory citizen can be president, only a natural born citizen...

Update 2:

@Vickilyn: Yes, it's so obvious but the obots keep confabulating statutory citizenship with natural born citizenship as if they're the exact same thing, which they're not--all one has to do is read the law a little, not even a lot!

Update 3:

candy g: The definition of natural born citizen is 2 US citizen parents born on US soil, the state AT birth. So if you had become a US citizen then yes, but otherwise your son has divided citizenship or allegiances which is what's precluded in the Constitution since it's impossible to have a president who has legal obligations to another country.

Update 4:

@Captain Snarky, I never once quoted Alan Keyes, I quoted a Supreme Court Ruling, Minor v. Happersett, Keyes wasn't alive then.

Hawaii was a state in 1959, but again having only one US citizen parent makes a person only a statutory citizen. It takes 2 US citizen parents to be a natural born citizen:

No statutory citizen can be president, only a natural born citizen. Article II US Constitution

SCOTUS precedent: Minor v. Happersett

"It was never doubted (that)...all children born in a country of parents who were its citizens became themselves... natural-born citizens"

"...every human being born within the jurisdiction of the United States of parents not owing allegiance to any foreign sovereignty is, in the

language of your Constitution itself, a natural born citizen…." . .John Bingham in the United States House on March 9, 1866

(Cong. Globe, 39th, 1st Sess., 1291 (1866))

Minor also holds no statutory citizen can ever be a natural born citizen, and vice versa.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Best Answer

Yeah But

You're going by the Law. Americans go by Pop Culture

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

What? Hawaii was a state at that time. He was born in the US to a US citizen. How is he not a natural born citizen?

Quoting Alan Keyes for anything immediately invalidates your claim. That man is totally, completely insane. He's a professional troll that keeps popping up in elections for no apparent reason and only the lunatic fringe ever votes for him.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

Natural Born Citizenship currently has no legal definition. By all accounts, this debate should have occurred with McCain as well since he was born in Panama.

• 9 years ago

honestly got a bit lost there trying to follow that BUT for instance my son was born in California, his father is a US citizen I am not [although am a legal resident.......we have always been led to believe that as he was born in the USA then he can actually go on to hold office and if so wished could be president..................but if I am reading what you wrote, he can not be???

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

many have been saying this since presidential primaries, such as the statesman Alan Keyes

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.