what is one of the functional regions of Colombia?

is bogota, colombia the main city involved in one of the functional regions?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Well there's not a concept in spanish-speaking countries for a functional region. However, we can say that metropolitan areas in our country, serve as functional regions. This is the case of Bogotá, Medellín, Cali (With Palmira), Barranquilla, Bucaramanga and the Eje Cafetero (The cities of Pereira, Manizales and Armenia).

Anyway, we can also take in account the socio-geographic regions of Colombia. In each of these regions, there are TV channels, newspapers, transport networks that link the region itself. They have also a similar, if not the same, culture. These regions are the Caribbean Region (Región Caribe), the Insular Region (Región Insular), the Plains Region (Orinoquía), the Amazon Region (Amazonía) and the Andean Region which is subdivided (because of its extension) in the Tolima Grande, the Antioquia and Eje Cafetero Region, the Cundiboyacense Region, the Cauca Region, the Pasto Region and the Santanderes Region.

Source(s): I'm colombian
    • Login to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

I dont know about the Functional regions but here are the Natural regions

Amazonica, Andina, Caribe, Insular, Orinoquia, Pacifica

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_regions_of_Co...

There are several regions we refer to constantly but i dont know how official they are: Bogota (capital) can be considered a functional region. Medellin also a big city can be its own.I am from el eje cafetero (coffee axis) also called triangulo del cafe (coffee triangle) It is called triangle because its made up of 3 departamentos (the equivalent of state/province) of Risaralda, Quindio, and Caldas. that whole area is also in between 3 main cities Bogota, Medellin, Cali. We refer to the whole area in the Atlantic coast as "La Costa" which includes cities like Barranquilla, Santa Marta and Cartagena. Barranquilla is big enough to be its own region and Cartagena is very important historically, geographically and economically to be its own as well. All the area in the Pacific Coast is known as "El Pacifico" which includes cities like Choco, Narino and Buenaventura. Cali is close to that region but it might be big enough to be considered its own.

• Login to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.