Justin asked in HealthMental Health · 1 decade ago

Is this schizophrenia?

My girl friend and i have been dating for 2 years now, we are both 16. Over these two years she has had dreams where her mind is sleeping but her body is awake, almost like a hallucination. Some weeks it happens every night, while others not at all. Either way she is very scared during these "dreams" and sometimes can't remember in the morning. I have also noticed that during the times she is very tired she acts almost like a little girl. She is adopted and we both just found out that her maternal grandfather was schizophrenic, and her biological mother had some problems too. Please just let me know. Thank you.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

No, those are not the symptoms of schizophrenia. Schizophrenia is not a sleeping disorder - it is a psychotic personality disorder that is always prevalent, and will manifest only when people are awake. Sleep disturbances are only one of a large gamut of symptoms in schizophrenia, and hardly the basis of diagnosis.

Your girlfriend is suffering from a sleep disorder. In sleep, there are multiple stages - in REM sleep the mind is awake, but the body is supposed to be paralyzed. There are sleep disorders where the inhibitory neurotransmission fails, and thus these people have physical mobility - and physically act out the dream or nightmares that they are are having. If your girlfriend wakes up during REM sleep, she would remember the dream.

There is also deep sleep (delta wave or stage 3/4) - in nonREM sleep the body is awake but the mind is "off" - this is another common stage of sleep where people have disorders manifesting - if your girlfriend wakes up during nREM sleep and is afraid, chances are she was having a night terror (not a nightmare - those are REM), and can't remember it but feels generally scared.

If symptoms such as delusions (paranoid, grandeur), manic behaviour (hyperexcitability), or negative symptoms like a loss of emotion begin to occur, you should suggest she go to see a doctor. But with your current description, it sounds much more likely she is psychologically intact, and is suffering from sleep disorders (which can also be treated).

Source(s): 3rd year medical student, UMHS
  • 1 decade ago

No.

I don't understand what you mean about the dreams, but it is either sleep paralysis or sleep movement. Maybe panic attacks. But certainly not schizophrenia.

Source(s): I was diagnosed with schizophrenia.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.