How do I convince my parents that I am going to join the military?

I have talked to my parents about it but they always said no. And now I am in college and a legal adult and my parents are saying no.

• ?
    Favorite Answer

It's your life. They have absolutely no control over it. If you're sure that this is what you want, then go to the recruiter, sign up, (It takes a while - it's not like you sign up and the next morning you're off to boot camp. The whole process takes months) and tell your parents afterward. "Hey mom, I joined up. Sorry if you don't like it, but I hope you'll be proud of me when I'm done."

Military life isn't glamorous, fun, or interesting. It's just hard work, day in and day out. If you're a grunt, you spend most of your time cleaning your weapon and the place you're living in. If you're in a support job, you spend most of your time doing that job. It's not Call of Duty, it's not Saving Private Ryan. It's weeks of boredom with seconds of terror, and then back to boredom. You also get treated like you're subhuman, which you are once you sign on the dotted line. You can draw a lot of comparisons from military life to prison life, some humorous, others painful. No privacy, freedom is granted and then taken away without warning, no standing up for yourself. When you get punished, you don't get to explain your side, because that makes it worse. You just take the punishment and say "Aye staff sergeant" fifty times.

At the same time, I wouldn't exchange it for any job in the world.

Mike

Source(s): PFC, Marine Corps

You do not have to convince them. If you are 18 or over you do not need their permission. You are either going to join or you are not. It is not up to them. If you are not man enough to make the decision for yourself then you do not belong in the military anyway.

It shouldn't matter what they say since you are a legal adult.

But i don't know though.

Maybe you could try telling them that it's something you really want to do.

If you are over 18, you can legally make your own decisions regarding enlisting. Just do it, they can't override the system and make you quit.

If you are over the age of 18 and it's something you truly want to do, then do it. They'll get over it. They should be proud that you want to serve your country in this way.

you cant convince them to let you...but you're old enough now to make that decision without them...so jus sit down an explain to them that its wat you want to do...and its wat you're goin to do...and that you simply want their support...because its wat you want...and you believe its best for you