What is the best (easiest) way to prime an oil pump on a 2000 Dodge Intrepid?

Have not installed it yet . Just looking for the best way to do so when the time comes. Old pump is off and I am about to start reassembling and not sure how to prime. No oil pressure was my problem in the first place.

Best Answer

You can't prime them because they are driven off of crank snout. Just pack some light grease in there, or atleast dump oil in it upon install.

you really can't prime them up like you could the older ones with a distributor in them, what i do on those is crank the engine over by hand a few times by using a socket on the front bolt that goes on the lower part of the crank shaft,turn it over a few times and it will pick up enough oil to prime it up,any attempt other wise and it will loose the prime you get on it,you can even pull the plugs out and pull the coil pack wire off and crank the engine over by using the starter,this wont hurt the engine none and that will quickly prime it back up,it also helps to add oil to the new filter before you install it,this gives it a head start.good luck with it.

Source(s): been a certified mechanic for 38 yrs now.

Submerge the pump in oil and turn it with an adapter in an electric drill. When installed it will primed and ready to go.

Squirt a bit of oil on the gears and install it.

Did you check the crankshaft main bearings? When they wear out you lose oil pressure. You must check them with plasti-gage if they are not obviously junk visually. If the main bearings are bad, the rod and camshaft bearings are also bad.

If you have the 2.7 liter motor they are junk. I see more problems with the timing chain, guides, and tensioners on my Tech line then I would care to deal with on my own car. Another words get rid of the POS before it burns you!

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech

your suppose to pack the cavity hole with petroleum jelly ( vaseline)