deciding on college major?

i was thinking on majoring in japanese in college,

but a few people told me that is a useless major? i googled the jobs i can possibly get,

and jobs such as linguist, translator etc.. came up

they don't seem useless to me

but if so please explain why?

also what is the difference between a minor and a major?

i'm currently taking an AP class in Japanese

(i plan on taking more senior year, i'm a junior)

but please help? (:

Update:

excuse me, but i'm a girl. >:[

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Linguist? No...knowing another language doesn't make you a Linguist. Linguistics is the study of how human languages are constructed, not the study of learning to speak additional languages.

Translators need to be completely fluent in both languages. Learning a language in a purely academic setting can get you to a conversational level, but not 100% fluency. You need real world practice with a language to know the nuances, slang, etc. of each language.

If you want to learn Japanese, I suggest you double major in Japanese and Business. That would give you an opportunity to be hired with a company that deals with Japanese contacts/clients.

A major is the subject of your degree.

ex. Bachelor of Arts degree in "________"

The blank is the major. In your case, it would be Japanese.

A minor is just an optional way to take a handful of courses in another area. You don't get a special degree or certificate for it. People do minors either to complement their major with some additional knowledge, or just to pursue a personal interest.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

dude forget college. forget majors. just take some liberal art classes and then party like an animal. you need to drink so much beer your head is in the toilet every morning. you need to smoke so much dro you can't open your eyelids. you need to get so much *** that your dick hurts when you walk. good luck, kind sir.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.