This is for all english teachers, is it FULLER or MORE FULL? The wife and I are having a little disagreement.?

Update:

For instance. If you have two cups and one has more in it....you would say "The one on the left is MORE FULL." or "The one on the left is FULLER."

Another instance... Our mother walked into the house (she had a hair piece in her hair) and it was said to her "Mom your hair looks FULLER." or should it have been " Mom your hair looks MORE FULL."

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

More Full

• 4 years ago

In my humble opinion, neither "fuller" nor "More full" seems to be correct, because FULL is a absolute concept. Words such as complete, perfect, and full can not be sensibly compared. Something is either full or not. There are no higher things of fullness. :)

However, adverbs can help you to make a great comparisons.

completely full

almost full

nearly full

BUT wait,

As always, English is surprising us with EXCEPTIONS :)

In Cambridge Grammar of English book, I saw the following phrase at the bottom of the page " For fuller discussion of SOME and ANY".

The authors were talking about the usage of the words such as some and any; then they wanted to say that for more information regarding this subject, go page xxxxx..

Below is the snapshot.

Attachment image
    • Billy4 years agoReport

The cup on the left has more liquid in it than the one on the left.

• 3 years ago

More Full Or Fuller

• 4 years ago

I would probably rephrase: the cup on the left has more in it and your hair looks like it has more volume. Fuller sounds odd. Plus as has been stated... full is full after all.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John P
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Depends partly on context, but I would say 'fuller' in most contexts. In a way, 'full' can't have a comparative, since a thing is either full or it is not, there is no halfway point to 'full'. But in common speech 'fuller' or 'more full' is heard.

Source(s): British user of English for 60 years.
  • 9 years ago

Probably neither, if you want to be pedantic about it. It's either full or it's not. That's probably why the others seem to see a problem with "fuller" which would be the expected form for a one-syllable word.

• 3 years ago

…actually, “FULL” would be the proper adjective.

But the comparative “FULLER” would be used to compare 2 things of varying degrees of fullness.

And the superlative “FULLEST” to compare 3 or more.

• Miller
    Lv 4
    9 years ago

Correct English grammar would state 'more full'

• 5 years agoReport

Full is correct, something is either full or it isn,t

• 4 years ago

Closer to full.

• 9 years ago

more full

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.