? asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

Do the people say "hast" in English too?

Lots of the time it sound like the people is saying, "You hast" is this what I hear or is it the accent? If so is it used the same as in German? Or it just "You has" in the English and I am hearing wrong?

Accept in the English they pronounce the "a" the American way "ä" of course.

@pissek - I is Swiss-American trying to perfect the English since you ask.

• David
    Favorite Answer

What is the context of the word? There is no modern, appropriate usage of "hast" in American english. In the 17th century, "hast" meant have - as in "thou hast offended me."

If you are hearing "you hast," as in "you hast to gimme that answer," that is just poor english. It ought to be "you have to give me..."

"You has" is never correct english.

In english, we say "you have" and "he/she has"... so it is probably the accent you are hearing.

Saying "you asked" sounds like "you hast" though, because with American (assuming you're not in England...) accents, we don't pronounce it very well.

It sounds as though it may just be the accent. I am Australian and I definitely say it as "Has" not "hast" but when talking in that context I would say "you have" since saying "you has" is an incorrect placement of words.

I hope I helped :)

• I have never used the word "hast" in my life and I am not exactly sure what it means.But I do know that it is slang.

Example: "You hast to let me in!" < is that what you mean?

Source(s): Me and myself.

unless the word after the word 'has' starts with letter 't' like "has to be" sounds like "Hasto" or something..

btw kind of out of the question but i noticed most of the germans are interested in languages.. are you german and interested in languages?

du hast : you have

Source(s): native