Why did people stop watching Death Note after L's death?

NOTE: Don't tell me I spoiled this for you because you should have known it would happen. I see SO MANY people love Death Note but stopped watching all because L died. May I ask WHY?! It had to be the most PREDICTABLE moment in anime history! Even if you didn't expect it, so what that he died?! Just... show more NOTE: Don't tell me I spoiled this for you because you should have known it would happen.

I see SO MANY people love Death Note but stopped watching all because L died. May I ask WHY?! It had to be the most PREDICTABLE moment in anime history! Even if you didn't expect it, so what that he died?! Just because one character died means the story ends? Death Note would have had a horrible ending if it was L that caught him.

I'm sorry if this looks more like a rant than a question, I'm just wondering why.
Update: @Flare: The rest of the show was about Light trying to avoid getting caught as Kira...the ENTIRE show was like that!