Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 10 years ago

Are Jehovah Witnesses also called God Witnesses?

Jehovah, Jesus, God, Christ, and Lord are all the same person, right? So why are Jehovahs witnesses only called 'Jehovah' Witnesses?

Also, today in church (Lutheran service) the paster said something that caught my attention. He said "Out of the thousands of people in this world, he chose us" Meaning like we were the ones he chose to go to heaven (from the Lutheran congregation). It made me think of all the other religions in the world. I guess what I'm trying to say is, out of all the religions, which one is the right one? Are there more than one? Who's going to heaven, or isn't? One person believes one thing, another person believes something else, which person is right? I am a christian, I always will be, but I want my mind to be clarified.

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

For further information & learn more - you may wish to get in touch with Jehovah's Witnesses at the local Kingdom Hall. Or: their official web site - watchtower.org

Jehovah’s Witnesses is a descriptive name, indicating that they bear witness concerning Jehovah, his Godship, and his purposes. “God,” “Lord,” and “Creator”—like “President,” “King,” and “General”—are titles and may be applied to several different personages. But “Jehovah” is a personal name and refers to the almighty God and Creator of the universe. This is shown at Psalm 83:18, according to the "King James version" of the Bible: “That men may know that thou, whose name alone is Jehovah, art the most high over all the earth.”

The Bible says that there is only one true and eternal God. “Jehovah our God is one Jehovah.” (Deuteronomy 6:4) He is the Creator—eternal, almighty, without equal. Jesus is not Almighty God. Jesus lived on earth as a perfect man and died for imperfect mankind. God kindly accepted the life of Jesus as a ransom, and thus through him is the salvation of the faithful. This is God’s will.—Luke 22:42; Romans 5:12.

The Bible itself shows us how to determine the true religion.

(1) On what are its teachings based? Are they from God, or are they largely from men? (2 Timothy 3:16; Mark 7:7) Ask, for example: Where does the Bible teach that God is a Trinity? Where does it say that the human soul is immortal?

(2) Consider whether it is making known the name of God. Jesus said in prayer to God: “I have made your name manifest to the men you gave me out of the world.” (John 17:6) He declared: “It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.” (Matthew 4:10) Has your religion taught you that ‘it is Jehovah you must worship’? Have you come to know the Person identified by that name—his purposes, his activities, his qualities—so that you feel you can confidently draw close to him?

(3) Is true faith in Jesus Christ being demonstrated? This involves appreciation of the value of the sacrifice of Jesus’ human life and of his position today as heavenly King. (John 3:36; Psalms 2:6-8) Such appreciation is shown by obeying Jesus—sharing personally and zealously in the work that he assigned to his followers. True religion has such faith that is accompanied by works.—James 2:26.

(4) Is it largely ritualistic, a formality, or is it a way of life? God strongly disapproves of religion that is merely a formalism. (Isaiah 1:15-17) True religion upholds the Bible’s standard of morality and clean speech instead of weakly going along with popular trends. (1 Cor. 5:9-13; Eph. 5:3-5) Its members reflect the fruits of God’s spirit in their lives. (Gal. 5:22, 23) So, those who adhere to true worship can be identified because they sincerely endeavor to apply Bible standards in their lives not only at their places of meeting but in their family life, at their secular work, in school, and in recreation.

(5) Do its members truly love one another? Jesus said: “By this all will know that you are my disciples, if you have love among yourselves.” (John 13:35) Such love reaches across racial, social, and national boundaries, drawing people together in genuine brotherhood. So strong is this love that it sets them apart as being truly different. When the nations go to war, who have enough love for their Christian brothers in other lands that they refuse to take up arms and kill them? That is what early Christians did.

(6) Jesus said that his true followers would be “no part of the world.” (John 15:19) To worship God in a manner that he approves requires that we keep ourselves “without spot from the world.” (James 1:27) Can that be said of those whose clergy and other members are involved in politics, or whose lives are largely built around materialistic and fleshly desires?—1 John 2:15-17.

(7) Are its members active witnesses concerning God’s Kingdom? Jesus foretold: “This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.” (Matthew 24:14) What religion is really proclaiming God’s Kingdom as the hope of mankind instead of encouraging people to look to human rulership to solve their problems? Has your religion equipped you to share in this activity, and to do it from house to house as Jesus taught his apostles to do?—Matthew 10:7, 11-13; Acts 5:42; 20:20.

The facts clearly show that it is Jehovah’s Witnesses.—Isaiah 43:10-12.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

I used the terms Mom and Dad mostly, yes. However, I knew they had proper names and used those when speaking to others. It always struck me as odd that if you asked a little kid who their parents were to answer just Mom and Dad rather than be specific. It would confuse people more to think Mom and Dad were the answer for all kids. Are they related? Seriously, the first thing one learns in making a good friend or meeting a relative is their name. Why then do most people calling themselves Christian not know who their God is? Most say Jesus. This is because they do not know any other name. They have never been taught by the clergy supposedly in charge of education on Bible matters. Jesus taught that we should worship as he did. His God was in heaven who created him. (Col. 1:15-18; Rev. 3:14) The name of his Father was Jehovah according to Psalms 83:18 KJV. Jesus told he was ascending to his God and Father in the heavens at John 20:17. Showing that he knew they were two separate individuals, not one, as many humans today say. Knowing and using that name is important to all humans. John 17:3 shows it means everlasting life--taking in knowledge of BOTH God and the one you sent forth, Jesus Christ. If you don't even understand using or knowing the name--you know nothing.

• 10 years ago

Hi Liz: :-)

Lots of things to say that can't be said in one answer. I will give you some important things to know from the scriptures.

Jehovah has always had 'witnesses' for his name, starting from Abel down to our time. Jehovah is the Father, the Almighty. His Son is a Divine One, First Born of all Creation and everything came through him. This is where the debate arises. The trinity or 3 in 1 doctrine started after the apostles died off. This is a false teaching. It was established into the churches so that people could be converted from their pagan beliefs, however, when this was done, this adulterated the "true" teachings of Christ.

Many say that they are the true religion. So, for one to understand if they are in the true religion or not, one would need to study and investigate.

Here are a couple things that Jesus told his disciples. Think about these things:

Matt. 7:7 "Keep on asking, and it will be given you; keep on seeking, and you will find; keep on knocking, and it will be opened to you." (This shows that it is not one quick step to understanding; you must continue looking for answers)

Matt. 7:13 "Go in through the narrow gate, because broad and spacious is the road leading off into destruction, and many are the ones going in through it; whereas narrow is the gate and cramped the road leading off into life, and few are the ones finding it." (In other words, the majority are not on the right road! What does it say? "few" are the ones on the narrow road--hard to find)

Matt. 7:21 "Not everyone saying to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of the heavens but the one doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens will. vs 22 Many will say to me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and expel demons in your name, and perform many powerful works in your name?" vs 23 And yet then I will confess to them: I never knew you! Get away from me, you workers of lawlessness." (What harsh words out of Jesus' mouth and yet this shows that not all beliefs are approved by him! Why would he say, 'get away from me' ?)

This is serious stuff and of course, you see by some of the answers, ones are out to slander the name of Jehovah the Almighty God. So, good question and keep them coming.

• 10 years ago

As a Theologian, not a Christian, According to the Christian Bible, if you believe in the Name of Jesus and the works he has done, meaning following his teachings. You are considered a Christian and a whitness to the faith. There are allot of false Christian and Satanist churches out there, allloooottttt. To belive and be a true whitness is to put your heart , soul, and mind into that belief. You cannot be a Christian and a witch, you believe one or the other and practice one or the other.

Source(s): The Holy Bible, as to the J.W.'s and Mormans, Catholics, etc.... Beware, if you do not truly believe in and follow the teachings of Jesus Christ the Son of God, man cannot forgive sins, it's in the Bible.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Jehovah's witnesses wouldn't say they are the witnesses of God -- because they don't use the name of God. "Jehovah" is a Hebrew word literally meaning "the proper name of God" but it doesn't specifically refer to "God". It's kind of like saying "that one dude" instead of his actual name, only in this case it would be blasphemous to say the actual name. And Jehovah's witnesses are not trinitarian -- meaning Jehovah, God, Christ and Lord are not the same thing to them.

Oh, and as for the "right" religion? Ha! Good luck finding that one out. Wars have been fought, entire people's conquered or eradicated from the world trying to prove which one is right. Instead, all they've managed to prove is who is left.

All you can do is figure it out in your mind and move from there. Don't expect anyone else to agree with you.

• 10 years ago

There is God the Father and God the Son, Jesus is the Son, the Christ and our Lord and Savior, They believe that the Name of God the Father is Jehovah, and they witness or testify about Him, therefore they are Jehovah's witnesses of God's witnesses.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Jehovah, Jesus, God, Christ, and Lord are all the same person, right??

NO.

Jehovah is the name of the God almighty of the universe as Psalms 83:18 teach.

Jesus is the human name given to the Son Jehovah sent from heaven as Luke 1:32 and John 3:16 teach.

God...is a title applied in the bible too different persons for example Moses in Exodus 7:1-3

Christ: This title from the Greek Khri·stos′ is equivalent to the Hebrew Ma·shi′ach, “Messiah; Anointed One.” (Compare Mt 2:4, ftn.) “Christ” is not a mere appellative added to distinguish the Lord Jesus from others of the same name; it is an official title.

Lord : The Greek and Hebrew words rendered “lord” (or such related terms as “sir,” “owner,” “master”) are used with reference to Jehovah God (Eze 3:11), Jesus Christ (Mt 7:21), one of the elders seen by John in vision (Re 7:13, 14), angels (Ge 19:1, 2; Da 12:8), men (1Sa 25:24; Ac 16:16, 19, 30), and false deities (1Co 8:5). Often the designation “lord” denotes one who has ownership or authority and power over persons or things. (Ge 24:9; 42:30; 45:8, 9; 1Ki 16:24; Lu 19:33; Ac 25:26; Eph 6:5) This title was applied by Sarah to her husband (Ge 18:12), by children to their fathers (Ge 31:35; Mt 21:28, 29), and by a younger brother to his older brother (Ge 32:5, 6). It appears as a title of respect addressed to prominent persons, public officials, prophets, and kings. (Ge 23:6; 42:10; Nu 11:28; 2Sa 1:10; 2Ki 8:10-12; Mt 27:63) When used in addressing strangers, “lord,” or “sir,” served as a title of courtesy.—Joh 12:21; 20:15; Ac 16:30.

And you should hear this excellent article

CHAPTER 11—Why Does God Allow Suffering? MP3 free to download.

from the book: What Does the Bible Really Teach? (English)

http://www.jw.org/index.html?option=QrYQZRQVNlBBX

• Rissa
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

The truth is , everyone has their own view of religion.My view of god , is different than yours , along with everyone else. No one has any more proof than the other , and what one may portray as the correct religion could be totally wrong. Even people who follow the same religion , although have the same ideal belief in god/gods, they probably think of him in a different way. In my opinion , just because you follow a religion does not mean you agree with everything . Like me , a christian , i don't really believe god damns people to hell as they say he does. Why ? Because if god is accepting of all people and loves all his children , than he would not damn them to hell . What about the small children who were never taught a religion ? Does he send them to hell too?

It all really depends on what you believe , not everyone will agree with you , and even a fellow christian won't portray god exactly how you portray him. Believe in what you believe , and don't judge others for not believing in the same thing as you. Because just because you believe in something doesn't mean it is any more correct or incorrect than yours , and you have never died before , therefor have no logical explanation of what happens when you die.

As for the jw's , they prefer to be called jehovahs witnesses , because jehovah means "proper name of god" . All though lord , god , christ , etc , are potentially all "higher powers" they have different meanings in all religions . So , when one religion talks of "God" they are talking about their religions meaning of god , and won't mean the same thing if a different religion says "God"

Hope this answered your question (:

• Jesus is not the same person as God.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Jesus is the ONLY one to follow, your missing the point NO religion by any name can't save you, do you understand that ? Listen to what Jesus said and you MUST filter what everyone else says with HIS words, if you do not do this you will be sucked in to the false teachings of the last days, that means ME TOO !

Source(s): Matthew 24 Also you may want to read chapter 23 of Matt. to see what Jesus told the Religious leaders of His day, it may be shocking to you to know that He held nothing back from them and told them just what He thought of them.
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.