How to become a quantitative analyst? Am i doing it right?

Hi,

Just wondering if you guys think I am on the right track for a quant career.

I will soon hold the following qualifications:

Bachelor of Finance (Risk Management) / Bachelor of Science (Mathematics / Statistics) 1st Class Honours (statistics)

I am in Australia, but have completed some of my course at Berkley, and plan to continue on to the Master of Financial Engineering at Berkley or go into a PhD in Statistics.

My GPA is 3.7/4.0 & have had some programming in C++, Matlab, R.

Please let me know your suggestions.

Cheers!

Favorite Answer

On the right track, but in all honesty, a PhD is overkill. You might want to check out MIT's financial engineering program, as well, it is very good (although Berkeley is great too, I know a guy from the MFE program there who is a risk management quant at Blackrock in San Fran currently). I'm doing my PhD in finance and when talking to quant shops all they care about is my modeling ability, but more importantly my ability to program those models. You say you have had some programming in R, Matlab, C++, which is great, but my one recommendation to you is to pick one, and get really good at it. I chose C++, another guy in my program learned Java, but the important thing is we now are very comfortable with a language. Now we are slowly learning other languages, but the quant funds really like that we know at least one language well. Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

How To Become Quantitative Analyst

there are a number of the thank you to get into quantitative diagnosis (probable greater popularly many times used as business corporation analyst, information diagnosis, researcher, information mining, etc. interior the present interest industry). One option is classic college or college learn. As unspecific because it ought to sound there are a number of tiers of learn in college that gets you the certainty you need to pass into information diagnosis. one ingredient to think of approximately in the past commencing up examine right into a school or college application would be to evaluate what you will % to do diagnosis of. business corporation information, scientific examine, political information, or something else alongside those lines might assist you greater useful %. a substantial or line of concentration. As a rapid attempt to confirm in case you have an interest in this sort of container, pass out and purchase or examine on line the subject remember of information and selection help structures. those are 2 issues you will ought to study in spite of which course you %.

You are make the correct decision, you background matches the requirement of a quantitative analyst as well. I would suggest you to go for a PhD instead of a MFE for a better future.

Source(s): Quantitative finance collector http://www.mathfinance.cn