Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 10 years ago

Do you think that this car is a good buy?

Hi there!!! I am thinking about buying a 2002 used Honda Civic EX with 118k miles for 4900 bucks. The car is super clean and has been in no accidents and the dealer is throwing in a free 90 day warranty. I am gonna have the car inspected before I buy it. So do you guy think the car is a good buy.

I haven't seen the car in person because its about 1hr 30 min train ride away from me in Jersey City and I live in NY.

And if you guys have any tips on buying a used car and things I have to keep in mind. That would be very helpful.

Thanks for your help guys

BTW here is a link to the KBB value for the car :

http://www.kbb.com/used-cars/honda/civic/2002/priv...

Yea I do think the car has a little bit too much mileage based on its age.. i think im gonna try and reduce the price of the car by about 200 bucks

Favorite Answer

That sounds a little high to me, have you searched craigslist for comparable cars? Ebay is a good source of pricing info as well. Kelly Blue Book is a guide...it gives a value that is in my opinion arbitrary and not based on real world market values. There are other guide books out there...the ones the dealers use most commonly are N.A.D.A. and Black Book.

Here are two excellent ideas for finding the real value of that car:

1. Call your bank and ask how much they would loan on that car, if the customer had decent acceptable credit.

2. Call three used car lots, tell them you want to sell your car...give them a description of that car and ask them what they would pay.

After that, you will know if it is a good deal or not.

Good Luck

I would definitely go see the car in person and test drive it before making any final decision. A couple tips for car buying: Never say yes to the first thing they say, they will always come down in price with a simple 'No'. If you are planning on financing it, make sure you don't tell them what you want your monthly payments to be, they will simply lengthen the term of the loan and you'll end up paying much more in interest. If you are paying cash, haggle them to the point where it's annoying. Their main goal is to get you to buy a vehicle before you walk out the door, so they'll work with you. If you have the time/ability, try not to buy it the first day. Go to the dealer, test drive, haggle, etc. Then tell them you'll 'think about it' and leave. They will do everything in their power to keep you from leaving. Even if you are completely sold on buying it, leave and come back the next day. 9 times out of 10 they'll call you with a better deal. All in all just be smart about it, don't let them manipulate you or push you around. But also keep in mind that it's the dealer's livelihood to sell cars, so at some point they have to stop negotiating, or else they won't make any money on it. If they're offering $4,900 up front, I would suggest $3,200 to them. They'll say no, but you can go from there. With good haggling skills, I'd be willing to bet you can walk out of there having paid $4,000 for the vehicle. One final thing: remember there are cars everywhere out there, if this one doesn't work out, you can always keep searching for another one. Good luck!

• carmon

What you must ask your self is; what is that this going to price you sooner or later? You are watching at a $2400 fix for a tight automobile with most effective eighty,000 and relativly more recent mannequin. after it's performed it's going to frequently be nice and pushed with out disorders for a even as until you're discovering extra to be mistaken. although you offered it as is, you would get at so much $2000 for the automobile. so if you're taking the 2400 and 2000 you've gotten 4400 to spend on a brand new used automobile. A $4400 automobile isn't the finest on the earth. you're watching at purchasing a older mannequin, ninety eight or older, with better mileage. as that stands, you're watching at disorders even quicker once more together with your new used automobile, and as a consequence going to must spend extra money solving that, on account that you're going to certainly not purchase a used automobile with no need to repair whatever. So, i could say repair the automobile to your 2400, and be performed with repayments. That is the pleasant factor, not more repayments. so, relying on what your per 30 days cost was once, you might nonetheless be saving extra money by way of repairing it. ask your self how so much have you ever stored seeing that the repayments had been completed, does it outweigh what the maintenance will likely be? simply what i believe must be performed.

If you are buying off a reputable dealer and they throw in a 90 day warranty then yes it is not a bad buy.

Mileage is a little high but still not bad.

yes if you want to die.