Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

Germans. Why is it "den" and not "die" in: , den du geemailt hast.?

ORIGINAL SENTENCE: Danke, Ich werde den Text überprüfen, den du geemailt hast.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

Ich werde den Text überprüfen, *den* du geemailt hast. — I will check the text *that* you e-mailed.

1. '…, den du gemailt hast.' is a relative clause, and 'den' is the relative pronoun that refers to 'Text'

2. 'Text' is a noun of masculine gender (der Text)

3. The grammatical case is accusative (wen oder was?)

=>The masculine relative pronoun in the accusative case is 'den'.

'die' would be, for example, the feminine relative pronoun in accusative case. E.g.: Ich habe die Postkarte lesen, *die* du mir geschickt hast. — I have read the postcard *that* you sent me.

There are also other instances of 'die' as relative pronoun.

Here's a table of relative pronouns in all cases (I've omitted old-fashioned alternative forms, like welche/welcher/welches etc., to keep it simple.)

NOMINATIV (wer oder was?)

Maskulinum : der

Femininum : die

Neutrum: : das

Plural: die

GENITIV (wessen?)

• Maskulinum : dessen

• Femininum : deren

• Neutrum: : dessen

Plural: deren

DATIV (wem oder was?)

• Maskulinum : dem

• Femininum : der

• Neutrum: : dem

Plural: denen

AKKUSATIV (wen oder was?)

• Maskulinum : den

• Femininum : die

• Neutrum: : das

Plural: die

————

More examples:

• Das Rätsel, das niemand lösen konnte. — The riddle that no one could solve. (accusative, neut.)

• Die Rätsel, die niemand lösen konnte. (accusative, plural/neut.)

• Die Frau, der die Handtasche gestohlen wurde. (dative, fem.)

• Die Frau, deren Handtasche gestohlen wurde. (genetive, fem.)

• Die Schränke, die gestern verkauft wurden. (accusative, plural/mas.)

• Der Schrank, dem die Tür fehlt. (dative, mas.)

• anam
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

i be attentive to i've got mastered the flexibility to stroll, communicate and examine. there is not something lots left to be taught in those fields, and that i'm able to do all of it with finished ease. would not recommend I in no way stub my toe, slur some words, or locate a sentence now and then, yet i've got reached a element the place that's thoroughly causal. i'm not an olympic sprinter, or a public speaker, or a speed reader -- those are all completely separate skills -- yet what I discovered is a lot to get with the aid of existence. I in no way forget that the martial arts are referred to as an artwork, however if or not that's an jap interpretation, yet interior the West this does have a purpose. An artwork could not be something you ideal. song, portray and sculpting all have close to endless skill, yet stages of progression which you will would desire to "grasp" to get greater effective. A black belt, as we've defined earlier at right here, is approximately having an corporation be attentive to-how of the basics, or "All common strikes and concepts, could be utilized with prolonged tension and correct application in common mixture." the foremost words right here would be "all common strikes and concepts" and "prolonged tension and correct application". i'd say there's a mastery of having discovered the standards and be attentive to the thank you to place them to apply, purely not something farther from the basics. i think of human beings bypass slightly too a ways with the be conscious, utilising it customarily erroneously, however the reason of conveniently and casually utilising what you have discovered is what they're all implying. As for the martial arts as an entire, that i've got self assurance is impossible, exceptionally as an artwork.

• Donald
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

The second "den" refers to Text and it too is a direct object.

• 9 years ago

It shouldn't be den, der, die, das, den, denen, dem, or any other funky crap. It should actually be denn, meaning then.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.