Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthGeneral Health CarePain & Pain Management · 9 years ago

My throat is killing me?

I've had a sore throat for about 3 weeks. I went to the doctor about 2 days after it started bothering me, and he prescribed some antibiotics (amoxicillin). The sore throat was gone by the end of the 7 days of antibiotics, then came back about two days later. I went to the doctor again, and this time they said that there isn't any sign of infection. He told me to wait it out and just gargle warm salt water to ease the pain.

Well, it's been well over a week since that last doctor appointment, and it still doesn't feel like my throat is getting any better. I can't even drink fruit juice, because then my throat AND ears burn.

Has anybody ever had similar issues? I'm going back to the doctor's again soon, and I'm hoping that they don't tell me the same thing, because I think I might just snap at them...

Also, it doesn't hurt as much if I hold my head a certain way, and the amount of pain seems to vary throughout the day. It is almost always the worst before bed and after waking up.

Yes, I took all the medicine like the instructions said. Three a day for seven days.

Best Answer

■Allergies. The same pet dander, molds and pollens that trigger allergic reactions such as red, swollen eyes and a runny nose can also cause a sore throat.

■Dryness. Dry indoor air, especially in winter when rooms tend to be overheated, can make your throat feel rough and scratchy, particularly in the morning when you first wake up. Breathing through your mouth — often because of chronic nasal congestion — also can cause a dry, sore throat.

■Pollution and other irritants. Outdoor air pollution can cause ongoing throat irritation. But indoor pollution — especially tobacco smoke — is an even greater cause of chronic sore throat. Smokeless tobacco, alcohol and spicy foods can also inflame your throat.

■Muscle strain. You can strain muscles in your throat just as you can strain them in your arms or legs. If you've ever gotten a sore throat after yelling at a concert or sporting event, you've likely strained your throat muscles. Your voice may also be hoarse (a symptom of laryngitis).

Although anyone can get a sore throat, some factors make you more susceptible to throat problems. These factors include:

■Age. Children and teens are most likely to develop sore throats. Children are also more likely to have strep throat, the most common bacterial infection associated with a sore throat.

■Smoking or exposure to secondhand smoke. Tobacco smoke, whether primary or secondary, contains hundreds of toxic chemicals that can irritate the throat lining.

■Allergies. If you have seasonal allergies or ongoing allergic reactions to dust, molds or pet dander, you're more likely to develop a sore throat than are people who don't have allergies.

■Exposure to chemical irritants. Particulate matter in the air from the burning of fossil fuels as well as common household chemicals can cause throat irritation.

■Chronic or frequent sinus infections. Drainage from nose or sinus infections can cause throat infections as well.

■Living or working in close quarters. Viral and bacterial infections spread easily anywhere people gather — child care centers, classrooms, offices, prisons and military installations.

■Poor hygiene. Washing your hands carefully and often is the best way to prevent many viral and bacterial infections.

■Lowered immunity. You're more susceptible to infections in general if your resistance is low. Common causes of lowered immunity include diseases such as HIV and diabetes, treatment with steroids or chemotherapy drugs — even stress, fatigue and poor diet.

Until your sore throat has run its course, try these tips:

■Increase your fluid intake. Fluids such as water, juice, tea and warm soup help replace fluids lost during mucus production or fever. Avoid alcohol and caffeine, which can cause dehydration.

■Gargle with warm salt water. Mix 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a full glass of warm water, gargle, and then spit the water out. This will soothe your throat and clear it of mucus.

■Use honey and lemon. Stir honey and lemon to taste into a glass of very hot water, allowing it to cool to room temperature before you or your children sip it. The honey coats and soothes your throat, and the lemon helps cut mucus. This time-tested recipe may relieve most of your pain — if only temporarily.

■Suck on a throat lozenge or hard candy. This isn't necessarily soothing in itself, but it does stimulate saliva production, which bathes and cleanses your throat.

■Humidify the air. Adding moisture to the air prevents your mucous membranes from drying out. This can reduce irritation and make it easier to sleep. Be sure to change the water in a room humidifier daily and clean the unit at least once every three days to help prevent the growth of harmful molds and bacteria.

■Avoid smoke and other air pollutants. Smoke irritates a sore throat. At least while you're sick, stop smoking and avoid all fumes from household cleaners and paint. And don't expose children to secondhand smoke.

■Rest your voice. If your sore throat has affected your voice box (larynx), talking may lead to more irritation and temporary loss of your voice (laryngitis).

■Avoid infecting others. If you're not well, take a few days off to avoid spreading your germs to others. Cover your mouth when you cough or sneeze.

Source(s): Mayo Clinic

did you take ALL the medicine like the instructions said?