Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 1 decade ago

Christians,do you realize that, the old covenant is still in operation today?

Yes, When Jesus died on the cross, he defeated the devil and the OT was done away witg but, the OT is in operation inspite.

Here is why I think the OT is still in operation....

It is in most people. When I look at the old covenant I see alot of areas that are operating even in those who proclaim to be "complete" in Christ ( including my self) Remember: there are still two trees within our garden (mind) We can eat from one or the other......Jesus said that he didn't come to do away with the law but rather to fulfill it....Matt 5:17 Now our part is to establish it within ourselves Rom 3:31

In Genesis one of the curses under the law was work. Gen 3:19 "With the hard work of your hands you will get your bread till you go back to the earth from which you were taken: for dust you are and to the dust you will go back'......Jesus worked until his appointed time. Anyone that has to rely on a Pharao as their means of provision, are under the old covenant, because we are still relying on the worldly (earthly systems or under Pharoah) to support us.... Just a thought-:)

Another one is the curse of sinckness and disease....Jesus was never sick. If I have to take has to take medication, in my humble opinion I am still still under the curse of the old covenant. When we are walking in total health, we will know God as JEHOVAH- RAPHA.

And...Religion is a belief "system" (which is also under the old covenant). The Baptist think they are right, The universalist think they are right, The Catholics think they are right, The Muslims think they are right, The Budist think they are right, The Pentecostals think they are right, the Predestinate's think they are right......They all do the the same thing! Judging, devouring and condemning (which is also under the old covenant). .....

There is one word that completes the new covenant "LOVE"....when I hear people edifying others, uplifting others, walking in love with people that they don't agree with, forgiving those who come against them, sharing the light of God with others, speaking of the Goodness of the Lord, etc......that is when I will know that a person is walking in the new covenant.....That is when I will see the manifestation of a mature Son of God....

What do you think?

Update:

EDIT: Sry...Type meant to say "the OT was done away with"

Update 2:

*sigh* TYPO... I hope you get the gist of the question

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

We really need to be those living in the reality of the New Testament dispensation. You bring forward some valid points regarding our appropriating of all that the Lord has accomplished on our behalf... what He has obtained and attained and has given TO the Church as His Body. Truly a wake up call for all of us.

Even though, as you have noted in your opening thoughts, that the Lord has done away with the OT dispensation through His incarnation, human living, death, resurrection, glorification, and enthronement, we can still live according to things that are old, we can approach God according to these old things maybe because we truly have not seen who exactly we are in this CHRIST.

May we never be like those who always have a veil over their heart when they read Moses, but may our hearts have a genuine turn to the Lord, so that our veils are taken away, and as such, we see this Christ and all that He has accomplished with an unveiled heart.... to be infused with this One we are beholding and reflecting.

2 Cor 3

12 Therefore since we have such hope, we use much boldness,

13 And are not like Moses, who put a veil on his face so that the sons of Israel would not gaze at the end of that which was being done away with.

14 But their thoughts were hardened; for until the present day the same veil remains at the reading of the old covenant, it not being unveiled to them that the veil is being done away with in Christ.

15 Indeed unto this day, whenever Moses is read, a veil lies on their heart;

16 But whenever their heart turns to the Lord, the veil is taken away.

17 And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

18 But we all with unveiled face, beholding and reflecting like a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, even as from the Lord Spirit.

With regard to the accomplished spiritual facts that the Lord has gained on our behalf, we need to walk in the liberty of the Spirit. But for the time, as you have noted, we do live in the World, and are having our livelihood, our education, etc under this satanic system, under the spiritual Pharoah. Each day we are those who 'bake bricks' for this one who will seek to enslave our hearts, veil it, cause the thorns of anxiety for our life and living, the deceitfulness of riches to capture our being.

The Lord needs to be able to establish His Kingdom within the hearts of the saints on the earth, giving Him the kind of ground to be able to Manifest the Kingdom of the heavens HERE on the earth in an outward way. Where Human government will be crushed and the Kingdom of Our God and of His Christ would reign on this earth for 1000 years in the age of the Kingdom.

This takes our full cooperation with the Lord as the Seed of the Kingdom who seeks to not only be sown into us, but grow, spread, deepen, widen and develop in our being. That Christ would make His home in all our hearts through faith, that we would be rooted and grounded IN LOVE.

While we speak this establishing of the Kingdom is going on and the Lord is gaining a way to turn this age to that of the Kingdom. May we ask the Lord always, to free us from all our thorns, any hardness, any hidden rocks, to remove all our veils and to be those eating of Him as the Tree of Life day by day.

This is a very deep question that you have touched here sister and I really appreciate this angle because its really something we need to address honestly, practically and thoroughly before the Lord as the shining One. Where He exposes all things to us and then shines Himself as Light for us to have a way to go onward.

Very thought provoking question sister.

Source(s): RcV bible
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Jeremiah says I will write my laws on their heart..thats the new covenant. Hebrew 8 talks about something waxing old and vanish.....in italics they put covenant....I think it should read in some of those verses tabernacle...not covenant...the tabernacle was about to be wax old and vanish. I believe the new covenant is the law written on our heart (we now have the Holy Spirit, our stoney heart is gone.) The bible says, the Law is spiritual..not was, IS. It says the Law IS holy and the commandments are holy, just and good...law is.....commandments are... it doesnt say was...... The new test. says mortify the deeds of the flesh..... The law is spiritual what does that mean....God says even if you think it you have done it. Romans says the law is not void. Matt says 1 jot and 1 tittle shall not pass till all be fulfilled or that word fulfilled is #1096 in concordance and that means to become you. That may be our walk the old with the new , that is both.

Source(s): www.youtube.com william hinn-christ in you
  • Misty
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

Of course the OT is still in "operation." It is part of salvation history, and we look to it to understand God. Christ said he fulfilled the law, not that he replaced it.

As Catholics we understand our faith to be the fulfillment of what the OT was building towards. It isn't' done away with, it is part of who we are as Christians. The Bible is a collection of books that together tell one story of salvation. This includes both the Old and New Testaments as one.

• 1 decade ago

Here is the deal......

John 3

16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. 17 For God did not send His Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved.

"that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life", So, who wouldn't put ALL their Eggs in Jesus' Basket ??...........

18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God. 19 And this is the condemnation, that the light has come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil. 20 For everyone practicing evil hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. 21 But he who does the truth comes to the light, that his deeds may be clearly seen, that they have been done in God.”

If we are in fact crucified with Christ and the Old nature or Man is dead then we are no longer joined with the Law and are free to be Joined with Jesus.

You cannot server two Masters, Either the Law or Jesus but, if we serve the Law then we have not died and yet live in our flesh.

Then what of Jesus, shall we not give our lives to Him ???

I must serve Jesus, there is no other way to be accepted by the Father.....

Besides, No Human keeps the Law Perfectly and that is what the Law requires !

If you have Jesus in you, the Law will be Kept Naturally......

Having the New Nature in Christ !

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

The Old Testament and the New are together one Harmonious and complete Book, it is a Fool who Believes that the Old Testament is Done away with, Satan we were warned will use Ministers of His own Making to lead us astray with False teachings God has Not Changed and neither has the Truth contained in it.

• The Catholic Church teaches that all the Covenants are still in effect. Jesus said "I came to fulfill the law, not to abolish it."

Nothing in the Bible nor in Oral Tradition suggests that the Covenants God made with man were done away with. Nothing.

There is no reason those covenants still aren't in effect. The Covenant made with Noah to never drown the world again is still in effect--we're all still here, aren't we?

• 1 decade ago

yes to the lost, the old law was given to show us there is no way we can become rightious in the sight of God by observing the old law, infact any one under the old law is under a curse , under the bondage of sin and death, the law was pointing to Jesus the old law is a showdow of the reality of Jesus when we come to Jesus through faith in his completed work at the cross we are raised from our spiritual death (the old law) to life eternal and now we walk in the newness of life guided by the spirit of God, and we live under the new covenant Jesus suhered in at his death hebrews 10:16,18 your sins and lawless acts i will rembemer no more and where these have been take away never to see them again ther is no longer any sacrafice for sins, this is the good new of the gospel all we do is abide in his word (new testament) and inter the sabbath rest foun in chapteer 4:10,11 hebrews

• LP S
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

The old covenant of blood ritual was nailed to the cross, done aways with.

We no longer have to make a blood sacrifice for the remissions of sins.

We repent from our own hearts and ask God for forgiveness in Jesus Christ's name for the remissions of sins.

• 1 decade ago

I think the OT is still vital today because Paul, one of the major authors in the NT writes with the understanding that the reader is well versed in the OT. He makes quite a few references, and we can't understand the full meaning until we understand where he came from.

Also, the rules of Leviticus are not in effect because Jesus satisfied the law through his sacrifice.

• ?
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

jesus said concerning the law, not one jot or one tittle shall pass away...until..all be fulfilled..jesus fulfilled the law...the observations you are making of humanity can hardly be compared to that of the life of christ..yes..we should perhaps focus more on our efforts to be like him.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.