?

Why do some Christians feel atheists need to "try out" Christianity?

Because

1) Some of us HAVE tried it out (and we get the response "You were never a TRUE Christian" usually)

2) You don't need to try out Hinduism, Sikhism or Islam, why do I need to try out your religion?

Of course, this is only some Christians, not all, the rest are mercifully accepting of the fact that there are atheists.

Best Answer

Yes, I've gotten the "you weren't a true Christian" from people before. Despite the fact that I was a born-again, baptized believer who studied the Bible (and taught the Bible) for 23 years. I think SOME of the Christians just cannot accept the fact that you can be a true believer and still leave the faith. Perhaps it worries them that they could lose their faith as well. It does seem to me that the more insecure Christians are the ones who say this.

I have suggested to several Christian friends that they "take off the God glasses" and live without their beliefs for a week or so. They seem to consider that blasphemy, though they don't mind telling me I should adopt their beliefs on a "trial" period.

It is identical to the "Try if for 30 days, and return the unused portion for a full refund if you are not 100% satisfied" that you see on infomercials.

For as long as they have been around, Evangelicals were doing everything Billy Mays, Vince Offer, and all the other paid advertisement snake oil salesmen do.

There's an underlying mentality of "missionaryism" amongst some in the religion, and they sometimes try to use the stereotypical drug-pusher mentality of "Try it! Go on! Just once!" even to people who are ex-Christians.

That's often coupled with the mentality of denial, so they will claim that anyone who didn't continue to believe in it never *really* believed in the first place. "Yah boo sucks!"

It's simple group/tribalism.

if you found a great treasure, i wonder, would you hide it away, or share it with the world?

sharing the gospel is love.

this is R&S, so of course Christians have come here to talk about the Lord. in my real time, i do not witness to every single person i meet, although everyone i know knows that i am Christian. if they have questions, i'm willing to share what i know. if a friend is sick in the hospital, you can be certain i will be there with them to laugh and cry, hold their hand, and yes, pray for them.

it's all good. Christians sharing the gospel is nothing to worry or fret about. i wish atheists would just let go of this need to lash out at Christians because they have the nerve to mention the name of Christ in your presence. live your life and be happy. if you come to Christ one day, it could be from a seed planted long ago. our words are never in vain when we speak about God's love and saving grace.

i have a very good suggestion, and this goes for all atheists on this site who have ever complained about Christians sharing the gospel: if the gospel of Jesus Christ is offensive to you, then quit tormenting yourself by coming here. as long as you frequent this site, one will assume you enjoy religion and spirituality. why else would you be here?

My guess is those people have no idea what Christianity is all about. You cannot try it out. You either believe or your don't. It's that simple.

The bible makes it clear that once you believe you are indwelt by the HolySpirit as a guarantee of your inheritance and that Jesus will not lose even one believer. So if you attempt to just get your toes wet, you haven't experienced Christianity at all.

Having being brought up in a Catholic family I can honestly say I've tried it and figured it out for myself. You can fool some of the people some of the time but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

• M

Because if they get enough try outs they get a shot to be head cheerleader.

Really though its because their faith isn't strong enough to withstand the idea that someone might not share the same belief as them, meaning that there is a huge possiblity that they are wrong in the first place.

• Ella

Because saving souls is ingrained into their heads.

When I was dragged to church every Sunday I remember the preacher always telling us to go out and preach god's word, save souls, and tell them to visit the church.

Pretty much, I think it was a marketing tool for us to bring people to the church so it would generate more money for the preacher.

• Donna

Being an ex Christian I don't feel the need to be one.

• Im a prime example of an epic Catholic church failure. There isn't much that can be done at this point.