Folding knives as survival knives?

Is a study folding knife like the Cold Steel Voyager or Blackhawk CQD Mk 1 suitable for use as a survival knife? Or should I only consider fixed blades for use as survival knives?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

A fixed blade knife is more durable but in my 27 years of hunting I have never need anything bigger then a 4" folding hunter. I have been lost in the woods over night and did just fine with a folding knife. I am not a survival expert of any kind I am just speaking from experience. When I head into the woods to hunt,camp,or fish I carry more then one knife all the time. I carry a strong folding saw,a small fixed knife with a 2" blade( skinner type) and a 4" folding hunter.I never had a need for a big rambo type knife.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 10 years ago

Most modern high-quality folders have a strong enough lock that I wouldn't rule them out as my only survival knife if compactness were very critical. Personally, I like to have a good quality folder along as well as a strong fixed-blade, like the old Ka-Bar. I also usually carry a Swiss Army Knife in the pack, even though I don't consider their blade as strong, by any means -- however, the can opener, saw & the other things can be very handy in camp.

A lot depends on where you're going to be, the type of undergrowth, how long and how far away from civilization (and help), etc. In thick brush I'd have machete along anyhow, and it's a lot more practical for cutting branches and building shelters than most "knives."

Source(s): 20+yrs in the Army, many years camping & hiking
  • 10 years ago

when surviving, if possible you want two different knives. one should be a machete-like tool to handle larger jobs, and the other should be a smaller knife for general purposes. also try to have at least one of those partially serrated (my opinion is if its on the smaller knife make sure its not serrated on the back of the blade as in survival you will probably need to but pressure on the knife by pushing on the back.) Field& Stream recommends the Tops/Buck Csar-T Liner-lock Folder as the best new survival knife. Surefire also makes a knife called the Crank. It's not exactly a multi tool but it has a bottle opener, a 1/2 inch wrench, you can also insert a coin near the bottom to become a screwdrivers, it has a cord cutter and has frame holes so you can tie it to a stick or pole to make a spear.

Source(s): head knowledge and Field& Stream magazine
  • 10 years ago

I always keep a Buck 119 in my car, which is about the size of a Ka-bar, both knives are great.

I would suggest a fixed blade, but if you are talking about a survival knife for everyday walking around then go with a sturdy folding knife.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

I wouldn't try it, if it is a dedicated survival knife then it could literally fail when you life depends on it. Consider a 2 teared system, a large full size knife with a 7in-13in blade and a small knife with a 4in-6in blade for small task. Make sure the larger blade can chop nicely as you will likely need to do that.

• 5 years ago

Folding knives are considered as the best for survival situations as they are revealed in fractions of seconds in case of any unforeseen emergencies. They have the dual locking mechanism which provides a safety to you while you are working with a piece of wood or so.

• 10 years ago

if relying on it for survival I would say a fixed blade as it is more durable.

But any knife is benificial to survival

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

Glacierwolf.

Just bring him along.

Source(s): Avid shooter/Experienced Machinist/That guy is unstoppable.
  • 10 years ago

Wenger hunter - you don't need anything else.

• 10 years ago

Supposedly, a survival knife should be able to cut wood branches thick enough to make a shelter.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.