Why do Catholics molest boys and not girls?

I'm an atheist but i respect all religion, I'm not trying to demonize the catholic religion. I know not all catholics molest kids, Most don't, But the few priests that do, why do they molest boys and not girls. I'm not to familiar with the bible but I'm pretty sure it sais "thow shall not lay with a man". So as men of god wouldn't it be in there best interest to molest girls and not boys?

Favorite Answer

A few Catholic priests (not Catholics) molested more boys than girls in the 1950s, 1960s, and 1970s because there were altar boys but not altar girls.

In every population of human beings are going to a few sick or evil people who commit horrible crimes, even in the Church.

The percentage of pedophiles in the clergy of the Catholic Church is actually less than that of society in general.

These few terrible people do not negate the faith, hope and love of over one billion Catholics.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families report "Child Maltreatment 2006" states that sexual abuse by Catholic clergy was less than one-half of one percent of all cases.

The report states that the perpetrators relationship to the victim was:

29.1% were Other Relatives

26.2% were Parents

24.4% were Others

6.9% were Unknown or Missing People

6.1% were Unmarried Partners of Parent

4.4% were Friends or Neighbors

1.8% were Child Daycare Providers

0.5% were Other Professionals

0.3% were Foster Parents

0.3% were Residential Facility Staff

0.1% were Legal Guardians

All clergy is a subset of Other Professionals and Catholic clergy is a subset of all clergy. http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/pubs/cm06/table...

Here is the complete document: http://www.acf.hhs.gov/programs/cb/pubs/cm06/cm06....

The 2007 Annual Report prepared by the Catholic bishops identifies 15 allegations of childhood sexual abuse in the U.S. Catholic Church from 2000 to 2007. Please note that there were 64,800,000 Catholics in the U.S. in 2005. http://cara.georgetown.edu/bulletin/index.htm

The 2007 Associated Press investigation identifies 2,570 public school teachers who, from 2001 through 2005, had their teaching licenses "taken away, denied, surrendered voluntarily, or restricted" because of sexual misconduct with minors.

Here is George Weigel's column detailing the Media's feeding frenzy on the Catholic Church: http://www.firstthings.com/onthesquare/2010/03/sco...

Here is Father Thomas Brundage's account (he was the judge) of the trial of Father Lawrence Murphy and the misreporting of the media: http://catholicanchor.org/wordpress/?p=601

Newsweek: Priests seem to abuse children at the same rate as everyone else. http://www.newsweek.com/2010/04/07/mean-men.html

With love in Christ.

• Daver

Given the fact that most victims were altar servers, molested back in a time when ALL altar servers were boys, that pretty much explains it right there.

Because the Church allowed gay men to be ordained several years ago. The Church accepted their vow of celibacy. This is a requirement of the priest hood. So, gay men began to prey on boys. Everybody says it is a religious issue when it is a homosexual issue. The Church has since stopped ordaining homos, and now the Church is called discriminatory. If those men were not homos, they would not have been molesting boys. Pax Christi

What most people fail to realise is that back in the 50`s and 60`s homosexuality was frowned on and it was shameful for families to have sons who were homosexual and so the priesthood was a safe haven for them which suited their families and also kept their secret from the neighbours.

Therefore the cause of the scandals is due to homosexuals thinking that they could be priests and practise their sordid behaviour without fear of being discovered,however nothing is hidden from God and now the church is being purified of such men,not a moment too soon I think.

• Matt

I can't really answer your question well as you have inconsistencies throughout. You say you respect all religion and then pose a question only a hateful bigot would mention.

Well I respect you for starting your Q with 'I respect all religion' but yea its not biblical to lay with a man the bible goes as far as to say its 'an abomination' but I dont really agree with the whole Catholic aspect of things [not to say that they are all bad] but they just dont do things biblically and alot of Christians dont either. For example the Catholics 'worship' Mary and say she is an itermediator between man and GOD and the bible states otherwise saying that Yashua *aka* Jesus Christ is THE ONLY itermediator between GOD and man and thats what I believe. And just to show my unbias Christianity has picked aup alot of paganism such as Sunday-Sabbath [which the Sabbath is actually Saturday] Easter and Christmas being Jesus' birthday and the whole 9 yards but my point is that Catholic or Christian men and woman that do not live according to the word of GOD [the bible] are not of GOD and hense are not Christians . Alot of people claim Christianity Catholicism and/or other forms of religion to lure people in or exuse thier behavior and the way they live and things they do. But a man of GOD would not act in this manner because it is not biblical. They molest boys and not girls because they are #1pedophiles and #2homosexuals and #3seeds of satan they will be dealt with on judgement day.....their judgement is awaiting

Source(s): Christian
  • Donald

Because the catholic priests are Homosexuals. Homosexuals go after their own sex, not after the opposite sex. This is why most if not all of the catholic priests are going after little boys.

The priesthood can luring to gay men because priests live in privacy with men.

They love those little boys!

The boys nag less.

Simple.

• Andrew

they have easy access to altar boys