atheists... would you let theists teach your kids in school?

--dedicated to 'humanist' :)

• Noctis
    Best Answer

Don't care what they believe as long as they keep it to themselves and not influence the kids. After all, this is a SECULAR society, not a theocratic country...

How would Christians like their children being taught by a muslim or buddhist?

Ha! My biology teacher is a Christian. He doesn't beilieve in evolution, and that's a serious problem when you want an education. Also, my World History teacher would go on and on about how Hitler was an atheist and how how even atheists accept that the Christian Bible is the most accurate record of any people in history. We would watch videos on how scientists "found the Garden of Eden" while we studied Mesopotamia. All of that just last year. Also, on the first day of school my English teacher passed out a sheet asking us to write whatever books of the bible we knew. Not a good year. I go to public school in Washington State. I can say that I have had theists "teach" me. I didn't learn anything.

Source(s): Sopomore year in high school.

I'm sure many teachers in public schools (and private) are theists since we have a 76% Christian majority. However, I would not allow their religious ideas into my children's classroom. If I wanted religious instruction for them, I'd send them to a Christian school.

They're at University now, and it was never really an issue. But a few years back we had "Focus on The Family" and one of the other lobbying groups out here calling council meetings trying to revamp the textbooks like they did in Texas this year. However, this is not Texas, and they were promptly laughed out of the building.

As long as they stick to the curriculum, I would have no problems letting a theist teach children in a public school. But the first time they bring their religious beliefs in the class room should be the last time they are able to teach in a public school. There should be no tolerance at all for violating the separation between fact and faith.

• Nate

O'course. For a few good reasons.

One, I'm not going to home school my kid and this is the only realistic way to prevent this even if I wanted to

Two, I shouldn't even have the slightest inkling of what religion a teacher is anyways unless I knew them personally previously. Even if I did know, they'd be out a job rather quick if they tried to push it on the kids, so it wouldn't really matter anyways.

Finally, I want any kids I may have in the future to make up their own mind about what they do or do not believe, when they get old enough of course. I will encourage them to ask questions of people of any religion to try to understand what they feel is true, so its not like I plan on shielding them from religion one way or another.

Sure, I would enroll my children in a Catholic or Christian school. Some are very elite and I don't like the public school system anyway. Let them live their childhood, they can decide when they're older. It is also a good explanation for death at such a young age as well. "They went to be with God and Jesus in Heaven now." sounds much better than "They're rotting in the ground and will never come back." And if they stay with it, fine. I would love my children no matter what they were. Just don't press it on me.

i think of maximum theists are tolerant. i individually am atheist and would enable a theist coach my little ones yet some like going into faith in college i understand, i've got been a student and we can't deny that actuality that some will teach their biases.

I don't intend to ever have kids, but if I did I don't think I'd have much choice. I do have my concerns about the quality of teachers and curriculums in public schools, but if there is an association with theism then it is a historical and sociological one and has little to do with the personal beliefs of individual teachers.

• Green

Yeah, so long as they do not try to indoctrinate them into believing their religion I am fine with it.

I don't want them to do the same thing to my kids as they did with me. When I went to school, I was indoctrinated by a teacher, who warned me of Hell and how Jesus was our savior and all that fun stuff. After school, she would take me to churches and other Christian get togethers. This was in the late 80s. Needless to say, I was a Jesus freak for nearly a year after until some of my friends slapped some sense into me.

A teachers beliefs should not influence their teaching!!

Only if a teacher started to introduce their beliefs into the teaching they do would it become a concern and then in most schools a complaint about the teachers conduct would surely lead to their severance for for acting so unprofessionally and for gross misconduct?!!