theists... would you let an atheist teach your kids in school?

Best Answer

Religion has no place in school, so the beliefs or non belief of the teacher shouldn't enter into the teaching format.

• I think most theists are tolerant. I personally am atheist and would let a theist teach my kids but some like going into religion in class I know, I've been a student and we can't deny that fact that some will show their biases.

Sure.

Any atheist that tried to teach my kids about atheism would be just as much in violation of the law as if a Christian teacher taught his students about Christianity, or a Hindu teacher taught his kids about Hinduism (assuming both public school and secular subjects.)

Having said that, my oldest (high school) in is private Christian school, and my youngest (elementary) is in public school.

Most of my college students aren't even aware I am an atheist. The quality of the teacher has nothing to do with the teacher's religion, though occasionally you run into science teachers in the south who let their religion interfere with their teaching in a distinctly negative way.

Ha! My biology instructor is a Christian. He would not beilieve in evolution, and that's a extreme concern once you like an practise. additionally, my international background instructor would pass on and on approximately how Hitler became into an atheist and how how even atheists settle for that the Christian Bible is the main precise checklist of any human beings in background. we would watch movies on how scientists "discovered the backyard of Eden" mutually as we studied Mesopotamia. All of that only final twelve months. additionally, on the 1st day of faculty my English instructor surpassed out a sheet asking us to place in writing even though books of the bible we knew. no longer a good twelve months. i pass to public college in Washington State. i can assert that I particularly have had theists "coach" me. i did no longer study something.

As long as they teach what they are hired to teach (history, science, math, etc), then I have no problem with it. If they try to teach my kids their own philosophy, then I do have a problem with it. Just like I'm sure you would have a problem with me telling your kids that they should be Christian.

Those are the only ones I want to teach my kids! See your previous question.

• DaveD

Religion.... no. English, Math, Science, History, Geography, etc.... no problem

Edit: loved the fact the the two atheist responders above (as well as the implication from the questioner) assumed that their WOULD be a bias. Hmm... i wonder who the close-minded ones are?

Yes.

Many of my teachers do not believe in God. I am still a Christian, so I would not have a problem with them being taught by one either.

Considering people are supposed to keep their religions or lack of out of public school...

it shouldn't matter. In fact, you shouldn't even know.