Does reading fast make you smarter?

If you read a book in one day or less than five hours, does that make you a good "reader" and smart? It usually takes me a week to finish a book, a month and a half for a Stephen King book.

Favorite Answer

It depends. I can finish books in one day and still be able to debate on themes and characters, while other people who take weeks to finish a 200 page book can barely analyze it. However, there are also people who merely skim through books and have to reread it because nothing sank in, and people who take longer but absorb the writing much better.

Anyhow, if you're reading really quality books, you will have to reread them to understand more. Good authors will embed so many details that the more you read, the more you discover. That's why English teachers don't really get bored teaching the same books year after year- they're discovering new things with the students all the time.

In school, your reading speed is often connected with your intelligence, and the SAT, basically a logic test, requires you to really zoom through the passages while picking up on the smallest little details. So I would say that reading fast but still having a thorough understanding is one of the things you need to be smarter.

No. Actually, reading faster can, at times, make you miss an AWFUL lot. I used to think I was a fast reader, and hence, a good reader. I've recently entered my high school AP Literature class, and for our first assignment we had to read a book ("A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man", by James Joyce), and while reading, we had to take notes on the book, and mark what we felt was interesting. It naturally made us read slower.

While I hated the book, and as a whole, I didn't take much from it, I noticed a lot more as I was reading through, from the change in pace. I noticed a lot of things that I normally wouldn't. Now, I read a bit more slowly, and take the time to really find out what the author and the characters are saying, and what's really going on. In the end, I think I became a better reader.

• I don't know, most people think I'm a real -- I don't know, nerd? Maybe a book-a-holic. Definitely that. But because I'm young, (13) people don't really read as much. I'm one of the most avid readers a lot of the teachers at my school know...

I did read the Twilight series (all of them) in two days. I didn't even stay up late, as most of my friends did. I read all four in 2 hours, but I did finish two in one day. I don't know if you count that as smart.. I did borrow a stephen king book yesterday at the local library. It was thick, and I forgot the name but it had red and white on it with a black raven or crow on the cover.

I finished that yesterday. I'm returning it when the rain stops D:

But I am a lot smarter after reading a lot of books in short amounts of time, but I read them over again just to make sure I didn't miss anything. I'm more... Sophisticated. Although, you could say I'm still my silly and humourous person, I just have a side that can easily be brought out.

Source(s): Me, Myself and I.

I don't know, but I read really fast, maybe a book a day or a book and half a day. Something like that. I'm really smart too, given I'm in a school that you have to be really smart to be accepted into. People don't call me a nerd because I read all the time, but because of the books I read. When people ask me what it's about, I get into a really long summary and some of books appear weird and crazy to my friends. :)

No, it doesn't make you smarter because reading makes you smarter if you understand it precisely. Some people can just be careless, for they could read fast enough to not remember much throughout the books.

• Well not if you dont under stand a word you read cause your flipping the pages every two seconds.

Reading in general makes you smarter, you get faster as you go.

Haha i read the whole twilight series in three day... (Crappiest three days of my freaking LIFE.)

• Cindy

I read really fast, however that doesn't mean anything, the definition of smart doesn't mean anything either. Smart in school means doing what you are told and doing it well. Who knows.

Not necesarily. I read fast and I'm smart, but that's just me. Usually people who read fast are smart, but smart people can't always read fast.

• No.