shiney asked in SportsOther - Sports · 10 years ago

Soccer (football) vs. American football?

Which do you think sport requires more skill?

Personally, I think soccer (football) does. You can't just stand there and tackle people in soccer (football) like you can in American football. Also, if you compare the players on each sport, there are seldom any obese soccer players like there are football players.

Soccer players don't suck oxygen on the sidelines

The fields are bigger.

We don't wear 20lbs. of padding, only shin guards.

We don't stop the game every 15 seconds.

Our seasons are longer.

Our fields are bigger.

We actually have a World Cup.

We have a goalie, so it's harder to make points.

The goal is smaller in soccer, other than the endzone which is as wide as the field.

We actually use our feet, so it's harder to control the ball, other than just holding it like they do in American football.

I'm probably missing alot of other facts, but you get my drift, right?

What are your thoughts?

In soccer you can't break an opponents momentum by calling a time out.

alot (i'n not saying all, but a good few) of American football players are rather conceited. Whenever someone makes a touchdown, they act like it was just them that made the touchdown. I garuntee you that 99.9% of the touchdowns made couldnt have been made without the rest of the team.

You also have more than one game per week, we don't get taken off the field unless someone's injured

• Ken P
    Favorite Answer

Between the two you mentioned American football has a wider variety of skills need: Recievers, Runningbacks, Defensive back are the closes to Soccer players with speed and agility. But Soccer players will not have the bull strength of linemen or the combined power, speed & agility of Linebackers.

Yes Soccer player have a different conditioning need (which is different than skill). The list you give is more about conditioning and the way the game evolved as to skill ( the use of feet & smaller goal are skill issues).

As for you Additional detail… right soccer players aren’t conceited… like ripping your shirt off and running around like a chicken with it’s head cut off after scoring a goal.

Soccer and American football are sports that have evolved into different creatures, But if you want a sport that is better and more skilled than both just try playing RUGBY.

American Football

I fully agree with Ken. It's hard to make a real comparison. An elite soccer player would be terrible at American Football and a pro football player would be equally as bad at playing soccer. I do think that both sports require different attributes. Soccer requires much better cardiovascular fitness than American football does. But American Football is a much more physical game, giving and taking big hits is part of the game.

It should also be pointed out that taking dives is common in soccer. How many times have we've seen someone get brushed by a shoelace then fall to the ground like he just got shot, and roll around in mock pain in an attempt to draw a yellow card?

Fanboy. You could do this for every sport.

How about baseball. Standing still and trying to put a small 33 inch bat with less than 3 inch barrel on a 3 inch round ball coming in at 90+ miles an hour. In my opinion, hitting a baseball is the most difficult thing in sports. Same could be said for shooting a hockey puck, returning a 100mph tennis serve, bashing into 250lb linebackers who can run 40 yards in less than 5 seconds and anything else.

My logic is to never criticize a sport, I respect all athletes and the fact that they made it to the big time. I must agree though, that I find soccer much more intense and exciting. Being a rugby player, Ive really grown not to care much for american football. I don't see the point of it. I think it takes more skill mentally to make the right decisions without having time to think about it, than it does to know your entire play before you start moving. That's just me though. Cheers.

soccer requires more skill because it is a much more difficult sport.

-as children, we were taught to use our hands, therefore learning to play without them and only your feet requires a lot of skill

-not all football players are athletic, linemen are fat and just filling in the holes on the team

-pro soccer players run about 6 to 7 miles non-stop per game; football players only run a few yards then get rest when the offense and defense switch

Completely different sports. You can always develop skill from practicing. Practice football, you get better. Practice soccer, you get better.

How can you say which one takes more skill, when it's different skills?

soccer