I feel lonely in college?

I've been in college for 5 days now and I see people forming friendships. I feel like I don't have any friends. Do you have any advice to help me not feel so lonely?

Favorite Answer

Honestly, just talk to different people and try to get into groups and organized activities and stuff. You are only 5 days in, don't worry. Especially in today's world, people are more rushed and not always as nice and they won't just come up to you and include you in something just because you might look lonely. Go out there and start talking to people. Try to find people with similar interests. Talk to people before and after your classes. Talk to people in the dorms. Talk to people in the cafeteria or at sports games. College is going to be one of the best times of your entire life and you will probably make hundreds of friends and acquantainces over your time there. But you have to get out there and talk and make yourself known. Good luck to you with everything!

Source(s): College grad who went throught it all!

The first semester of college (or even the first year) is difficult and exciting transition. Take heart, a lot of people probably feel the same way that you do even if they don't outwardly act like they do. I certainly had some lonely moments my first semester of college. Try and join a club or some other sort of organization. The best way to makes friends is to get involved. I'm sure something will come up. In the meantime just be patient and make sure you have a good cell phone plan so you can call home whenever you want. I'm sorry to hear about your dog btw. Losing a pet sucks, but it's better than the dog outliving you I suppose.

You are frsh meat in college. You are away from home and probaly a little scared ( I know I was). You miss you family and friends back home. So call them, see whats going on in their life right now. My best friend and I have known each other since kindergarden, and after first grade we have never lived in the same town...for the past 15 years we havent lived in the same state. When Im feeling down and lonely I give her a call and it really helps and vice versa. Give your BF a call. It might help.

Also, people are forming friendships because that is human nature. You seem shy, so the only way to not be lonely while in college is to make friends. Ask someone a questions in class, or look at message boards and see if there are any study groups for one of your subjects. They are lots of ways to meet people, you just have to try. =)

You could ask yourself why you're not making any friends? You should be making friends with out even trying - provided that you open your mouth when you meet someone (you want to talk to).

I have been in college for a few days now, NYU!!! (we might be in the same place?), and I find that everyone (esp. your floor mates if you live in a dorm), are EXCITED to get to know you. Perhaps overly-so - to make friends with them you just need to stick around with the one's who want to do stuff for a while, and it will happen automatically.

Alternatively, frequent your favorite spots, and hook up with anyone at those places who is also from your college.

You don't have to make friends right away, you could start at any point in the year.

Is it really so bad that you don't have a best-friend yet? (5 days in?).

Sorry about that dear, But know this, don`t rush to make friends, you may end up making wrong friends.... I can see, you friend is coming and very soon you will see him /her just sayin HEY to you...then make moves you guys! You will be great!

Source(s): friends

well if you have friends back home you can get a video chat thing and talk to them everyday on that and you always have to be VERY open minded on everyone and you have to be very outgoing and laugh at things people think is funny and all that crap! tehee =D

Talk to people you meet. thats all you can really do to find friends.

walk in naked, that should work